Wehrle iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fisherman85

Oct 11, 2018
Indiana
I’m looking to get some info on the Wehrle Marvel 131 cast iron stove. Mostly just curious on how much space I can expect this stove to heat, and if anyone has any experience with this stove or something similar. I believe the dimensions are 22” high, with a cooktop that’s about 18”x24” (4 burners). Looking to heat about a 1000 sq. ft. insulated garage when I’m out there working, will probably perk some coffee on it too! Also is there a post or thread (or a separate article elsewhere) that details cleaning and restoring an old iron stove like this. What else should I look for when I look at it in person?

I googled some photos and it looks like a cast iron coal laundry stove. You would be constantly feeding it with wood and it would probably become damaged in the process. Like you I started out looking at antique stoves to heat my house, but the good people on this forum were able to convince me it wasn't worth it.

Why do you say that? Not a big enough fire box? Why do you think it would be damaged from use?
Coal stoves don't make very good wood stoves and vice versa. Your hot wood coals will fall down between the shakers and the wood will burn very fast and very hot. This stove dates back to around the turn of the 20th century and was used with large pots of water on the top for washing dishes and laundry. When not in use the coal would burn at a very slow controlled rate, just enough to not go out and keep the flue warm. The round "burners" would be removed while the unit had a fire in it and a pot could be placed directly over the flame which would allow a lower burning fire to still heat the pot effectively without heating the room as much. For larger pots and laundry basins the "dog bones" could lift out two or even all four "burners".