Wehrle wisdom oak 159

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vg3200p

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2021
Clinton county indiana
Hey guys wanted a wood stove forever. Got one for free from a friend and just installed it in our new house. Anyone know potantial age range of a wehrle wisdom oak159 #19? I know it's technically a coal stove but it's been keeping our house nice and warm. Been reading on this site for a while and it helped me out a bunch on my install. So thanks everyone

IMG_20211121_095112992.jpgIMG_20211120_154155258.jpg

It's a sweet looking stove. These typically date from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Note that the hearth needs to extend 16" in front of the stove door. If the wall behind the stove had an NFPA 211 ventilated wall shield, it could be moved back to 12" from the wall which might provide what is needed.

I believe it is 18" for an unlisted stove. But I could be wrong

I believe it is 18" for an unlisted stove. But I could be wrong
12" (66%) for a ventilated wall shield. 24" (33%) for a 3.5" thick masonry wall.

nfpareductions.gif

That's a beautiful stove and appears to be in good shape. Be careful when the temps drop and the draft increases. The exterior tinwork skin on those stoves can easily be overheated and damaged burning wood.

Thanks guys. I screwed up on the hearth size. Gotta convince the Mrs I need to tile out more. The wood floor does not get hot there but I'm assuming that's for ember popping out protection? As far as the overheating of the stove. This is not our sole heat source. Keep our propane furnace set at 55 and do the rest with the stove. Do you guys think it would be safe or reasonable to attempt an overnight burn with this set up?

Thanks guys. I screwed up on the hearth size. Gotta convince the Mrs I need to tile out more. The wood floor does not get hot there but I'm assuming that's for ember popping out protection? As far as the overheating of the stove. This is not our sole heat source. Keep our propane furnace set at 55 and do the rest with the stove. Do you guys think it would be safe or reasonable to attempt an overnight burn with this set up?
These stoves burn wood hot and fast. If you were to smolder the fire all night you may end up with some coals in the morning, but that will make tons of creosote and smoke. Best to let the stove do what it does best and that's fast hot fires, throwing a piece of wood or two in there every hour or so.