Weight and loading into a pickup - Consolidated DW FA455 Sequioa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling my 22 year old DW FA455 and I am trying to figure out the weight and the best way to load it in a pickup of a guy who said he is interested. This thing is much heavier than my Jotal F500 Oslo, which comes in at 445 lbs. I can not find the weight listed in the owners manual or on-line. I'm thinking it is over 600 lbs.

The interested buyer wants to put it in the bed of his pickup. I told him that a strategy may be to use a 8 ft ramp made out of a couple of 2x8s and supported in the middle. And then roll it (or better yet winch it) up the ramp. I do not have a fork lift or a engine lift. Anyone have a better way of lifting this beast into a pickup? The buyer wants to try lifting this block of cast iron by hand into the bed. I told him that I think it is too heavy for that.

Attachments

• DW Stove.jpg
    DW Stove.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,038
I actually thought about responding to your ad. I still like that "porta potty" looking stove. Just don't know what the hell I would do with another stove.

BB,

I know your reply is probably tongue-in-cheek - consistent with your profile.

Hey, this baby will burn that potent Elbonia coal, talk about Btu content. ;-) Actually, the current interested buyer is looking to burn coal in it.

GE

I recommend motorcycle ramps and a dolly as the best way. Don't try to pick it up, it is brutal. We picked up my Castine out of my truck, but that is only a 400 pound stove and I had disassembled a good part of it. I've also moved a 500 pound Quad with several people and it was brutal. There was no way we could have picked it up without killing somebody.

It actually wasn't tongue in cheek. Saw it today on craigslist and the little brown haired girl said "You told me you bought all of these damned stoves because our's were old!".

I have just always been intrigued by that stove.

My VC Dutchwest weighs 634lbs...I use a utility trailer that matches my porch height and a heavy duty set of hand trucks with a strap.

dmc

BB,

Your welcome to it. My "interested buyer" said the earliest he could make it is Wednesday. I told him that I was going to have to let it go if someone came by to buy it before Wednesday. It is 22 years young ;-) But it is cast iron.

GE

Cycloxer,

I am with you on the ramps. No way three guys can muscle this thing up a couple feet, unless your the governor of Cal-i-forn-ia with your buddies from the body building gym.

GE

It is just so much easier and safer with a dolly. If you don't have one, you can rent one for 25 bucks, and, seriously, it is money well spent. You can also make your own ramps with a couple boards and you can get the aluminum extruded end pieces at a motorcycle store. I helped my dad make his ramps and we have used them to move motorcycles, stoves, a log splitter, various pieces of heavy furniture, pretty much anything heavy on wheels, you can roll it right into the bed with no problem.

davidmc said:
My VC Dutchwest weighs 634lbs...I use a utility trailer that matches my porch height and a heavy duty set of hand trucks with a strap.

dmc

634 lbs seems about right. It is much heavier (and bigger) than my 445 lbs current stove. Good idea about using the porch as a loading dock.

GE

Make some kind of wood pallet for it to sit on. Winch the palletized stove up the wood ramp. Using wheels on the ramp scares me. The dragged pallet won't get away from you and wood on wood doesn't make that much friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.