Weight concerns of stove platform I'm about to build.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolarond

Oct 19, 2014
Idaho
Hi everyone. Newbie to the forums.

My second winter in a house with a wood stove. It's a Napoleon 1400L That weighs about 400 lbs with bricks inside.

I am going to build the platform in the corner of two foundation walls. It's a newer house, 2x10s, 16 in oc.

I'm estimating the total weight of all my materials is about 550 lbs. I'll also have a 60" x 25" x 18" rolling wood rack next to it that weighs about 300 lbs when full.

The platform is distributed over a space of roughly 4' x 4' in the corner of the two foundation walls.

So that's about 1500 lbs in the corner while I load the stove. Is that too much weight? I'm inclined to think not since it's in the corner, bit this has been weighing on my mind so much I got no sleep last night.

It will look similar to this photo. The similarities are the corner, the slate, and it will be raised. Mine is only 8" high, and it will come out from the corner more and the front angled edge is only about 24".

Thanks much.

Attachments

• 4504241616_3fe9553eb8_b.jpg
    4504241616_3fe9553eb8_b.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Just to be sure i put a 6x6 under the joist with two jacks. I have a lot of brick.

Thanks everyone. I just double checked my crawlspace. Turns out it's not 2x10s, but plywood I beams. Checked the specs on the model and span, and it can support a load of 149 psf. I'll be at roughly 62 psf so I think I should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.