1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Weight ???

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by scotsman, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotsman

scotsman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Texas
    Hi Y'all,
    Since I've been hauling this large find, I've been wondering about how much a cord/cubic foot/cubic yard, etc. of wood weighs. I need to know a ballpark figure so I don't overload my single axle 6 X 12 trailer that I've put 4' sideboards on. The first load was so heavy that I thought the axle would break--the tires looked squashed and it was VERY hard to stop. Since I'm paying $5.00 per load, of course, I want to get as much as I can on the trailer, but I've got to exercise some self-control here, since I don't want to wreck my means of hauling it.

Volume-wise, I can haul 2.36 cords, but limited the first load to approximately 2 cords and that was the monster load. I also have a Ford E-350 with a 460 engine and a 4.10 rear end that I pull the trailer with, so I'm not underpowered. I don't have any nearby scales to weigh that trailer or I would have already.

As mentioned in another post, this wood is 60 years old or more, but is still very heavy in quantity. An estimate or a range from some of you experienced dudes will be most welcome--or if you've weighed a load of approximately the same size, that would be great!

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Does sound like you're over doing it...do you carry a spare tire for the trailer? with all the wood you're gonna end of hauling why not go to a shop and have dual wheels put on if the axle will hold it.
  4. scotsman

Loc:
    West Texas
    WOW! Thanks for the chart. I see now why the trailer was so difficult to manage under that load. I need to check, but I doubt this trailer is rated to carry anywhere near that weight. GULP!! :ahhh: Guess we were lucky to make it home without a "negative" event.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    But, you did make it. Count your blessings! Now you'll make out just fine. Keep on trucking!
  6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Ill bet that the trailer spec will keep you under a cord. I can do 3500 pounds in my trailer and when I hit a about a cord, that trailer really starts to show it. Go slow and be careful - and carry a spare tire and an extra jack that can handle the trailer with that load.
  7. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Whitman, Mass
    Yes, that is a whole lot of wood for a single axle trailer.

With a dual axle trailer, a blow out is easier to manage, as you can ramp up the good tire and get it up in their to swap... on a single you are SOL.
  8. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Texas, perhaps you can add another axle to the trailer if the frame is engineered to accept one. Here is a site which might give you some direction: http://www.championtrailers.com/
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Did you loose pile it or pack it in tight? A loose piled cord is somewhere around 200 cu ft.
  10. Mesquite

Mesquite Member

Loc:
    Brush Country of South Texas
    [quote author="Texas boy" date="1232496257"]Hi Y'all,
    Since I've been hauling this large find, I've been wondering about how much a cord/cubic foot/cubic yard, etc. of wood weighs. I need to know a ballpark figure so I don't overload my single axle 6 X 12 trailer that I've put 4' sideboards on. The first load was so heavy that I thought the axle would break--the tires looked squashed and it was VERY hard to stop. Since I'm paying $5.00 per load, of course, I want to get as much as I can on the trailer, but I've got to exercise some self-control here, since I don't want to wreck my means of hauling it.

What are your limits on that $5.00 per load? Can you do a large truck load (bobtail) for that $5.00 or is the quantity already established?
  11. scotsman

Loc:
    West Texas
    It is packed in TIGHT! Lynda believes in using every cubic inch of space and making the most of each trip. I bring it to the trailer and she stacks it. Then when I start to unload and stack it, it seems like there's twice as much to take off as we put on! Each stack occupies two feet of trailer length. If she encounters two short pieces, she'll lay 'em end to end to make up a single stick. If she gets one that's a tad longer, she'll work it into the voids in the end of the previous row. I don't know if this is obsessive-compulsive behaviour or not, but that's the way she operates. The result is a VERY heavy trailer if I don't watch her very carefully. One thing I can say for her, she doesn't poop out--she'll stack as long as I tote it to the trailer. Both trips have been loaded in the cold (in the 20s and 30s) and the wind (over 35 mph) and we've had wood debris and dirt in places you would not think it could get, with us wearing so many clothes! She's a trooper!

Now if I just had a stove!! :lol:
  12. scotsman

Loc:
    West Texas
  13. Mesquite

Mesquite Member

Loc:
    Brush Country of South Texas
  14. scotsman

Loc:
    West Texas
  15. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Wood is a lot harder to get than a stove...keep stockpiling that wood while it's cool down there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.