weird chimney install setup....best way to clean????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Jul 15, 2010
PA
Ok guys...installing the chimney today. Its a supervent class A. Out through the wall to Tee and up. Here is the problem.....The tee is a few inches below grade, I had to dig down and put in a window well. So getting a flexible brush up from the bottom of the tee will not be possible. I can reach the cap to unscrew it to let the junk out, but the brush will not be able to get into the pipe due to the below grade nature and me being above grade while trying to clean it. The top down method won't work because my roof is a steep 45 degree angle thus my chimney top is about 10 feet above my roof line. The only other option I can think of is to disconnect the stove pipe in the basement, pull out the through the wall chimney section and stick the flexible brush through my wall hole and directly into the tee. Anyone know if this will work? Is there enough room there for a flexible brush to flex its 90 and start up my chimney? Any other ideas for cleaning? I hate old houses and the issues they bring in any kind of install! Any help would be appreciated, thanks

As much as I hate to say it, I'd seriously consider calling a pro and pay them to solve the problem. They probably can get up on the roof and do the job (right equipment and experience). Some setups just aren't good for DIY - some may have solutions that are obvious once an experienced person looks at it. Pay someone once and watch how they do it...

Now, an option perhaps if you can get up on the roof safely may be to consider getting up there and take a section off the top, clean that (perhaps on the ground) then run the brush down from there. I.e. the 10' section that is above roofline (or wherever the convenient breakpoint it. However, as you likely have bracing this may or may not be practical... it all depends on exactly how it is set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.