weird freakin weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Had 3 inches of snow this morning, about 25*F. Rained all day. Now it's 50 and thunderstorming, but supposed to start snowing before midnight.

Had to shut down the stove because we had an inversion going on. But it's supposed to hit 0*F saturday.

Richmond sounds better and better.

Steve

Same here in michigan - Lots of lighting right now and they are talking of freezing rain for my commute tommarow. Glad I brought some wood inside :)

I just finished stacking over a cord of wood from the other day and wish I could use it. It's over 60 degrees in Virginia right now. Thankfully, I'll get some stove time this weekend.

Pal, you are looking at the Number One supporter of Global Warming... right here baby. Keep burning oil, coal, wood, peat, seaweed... whatever it takes. Kick the old global temperature up a few notches and we won't have to worry about heating our homes. It will all just equal out in the end!

-- Mike

(be careful with the flames people, it will only add to the global warming :p )

As long as you happen to be in one of the areas that actually gets warmed. Many scientists think some areas like northern Europe may get markedly colder.

Get ready for more cold. We're starting to get the beginning dose in the NW. Expecting temps we've never seen in this house. Last time this area was steadily in the teens was 1989. Happy to say the Jotul is holding it's own, though we are whittling down the woodpile. I'm really glad I got a fresh load of pellets last Saturday.

Yup, so it was 50 and raining last evening. This morning driving in it was 19 and really windy. Low tonight zero or slightly negative. a 50 degree swing in 24 hrs seems excessive.. Also going to slow down my woodcutting/splitting this weekend, because everything's iced over and frozen togather.

Steve

We had heavy snow & a thunderstorm from the same weather.
All said & done - 12" snow here in Wisconsin. Today & tonight,
temps ranging from 15 - 25 below zero, air temp (not incuding
wind chill). Hope my stove can keep up w/ the 40 below wind chills.

Rob

Never had a winter like this one in Northern, NJ.

Sunday 18" of snow, Monday, 40F, Tuesday, 45F, Wednesday 50F, Thursday 60F snow almost gone. Today we have a warning for 50 to 60 mph wind gusts and then back down to the 30's.

Minus 10 degrees with -45 degree wind chills right now in the Twins (MN), man did I burn last night. I mentioned to the wife that we may need to pop the furnace on for the first time, she said absolutely NOT, we'll sleep by the stove if we have to. Gotta love a gal like that!

Bob

Speaking of heating our homes in winter - Reminds me of a customer I had on the phone when I worked for the utility co. I was setting him up for an energy survey and I had to ask how he heated his home. I had three check boxes on my worksheet: Gas, Electric, Oil. He replied, "My wife and I make love vigorously". Man I almost fell outta my chair, but boy I was LMAO after that one.

OK, upper teens last week, cold as whiz......... now we are having upper fifties and thunder storms tonight !

No fire, just a small ceramic heater to knock the chill off............weird !!

Robbie

Minus 8° last week and 7" of snow , 63° today and there calling for 12" of snow for the weekend.

****************** WTF? ************************

tutu_sue said:
Never had a winter like this one in Northern, NJ.

Sunday 18" of snow, Monday, 40F, Tuesday, 45F, Wednesday 50F, Thursday 60F snow almost gone. Today we have a warning for 50 to 60 mph wind gusts and then back down to the 30's.

This winter it was the wind I noticed. As Sue points out 50-60 mph gusts. I never remember more than on occasion/year where we had high winds. This year we've had like 10. That is very freakin weird.

Actually Global Warming will make most of the Northern Hemisphere colder. Maybe even dipping into a mini, localized ice age. If the Ice in Greenland melts then the deep ocean current will slow or stop which prevents warm air and water from circulating north. Pretty interesting stuff if you like climatology and geo physics.

I think the companys making trillions of dollars should be responsible for fixing this global $hit! Could we not just refreeze our poles? Get some Big A$$ snow machines up there and make our own bergs?

Solution maybe?

Hey thats not nice, I got quality stoves too!

I got a Harman, actually two of em, advance and p38, and in my shop I got a homemade 50 gallon barrel wood stove plus an ancient pellet stove from the 80's, when my pipes freeze in my house I turn on the gas to blow air under my house.

Ya I sit on every side of the fence.

If any of ya like camp fires, try throwin some pellets in dem coals. I take a few bags camping with me, you can burn all the roten birch and cottonwood trees you want as long as ya got coals to keep throwin pellets on!

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.