WELCOME~ PacificGuyInCNY , brianosaur ................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard guys!

If we keep finding Summit owners, I can just let my stove go out and open the doors and windows on the house. I hear that they are two stoves away from causing the polar ice cap to melt.

Mr Griz, on Tom's Chimneysweeponline site he does in fact advertise the Summit under the size category of "Hey! Let's heat the neighborhood!" I promise to not leave the back door open too much.

Hardwood, I know everyona them places you mentioned, in fact I'm probably about a mile down the road from your stepson's old digs. No snow this year but usually lots n lots, sometimes enough for the kids to sled into the back yard from off the roof:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 214
You might like the weather today, but here's a bit of nostalgia. I took a job in Syracuse despite my better judgement. The University flew me in for an interview, December 20. Got off the plane and saw that the entire airport was covered with crunchy snow. Coming from the West Rocky Mountains and an avid XC skier, I knew it was cold, but the crunch was too crisp and the crystals were too loose. I live near a lake, so I know lake effect snow. Well, my host became my boss, and we talked weather. He said it was fairly typical for that time of year. Took me to my hotel and the very first thing I did was get an accurate temperature from the weather service. It was -23 degrees F. For the three days I was there it never got to Zero.

After moving there, living for two years in Syracuse, I got caught in one of the Big Blizzards. I was in Oswego at an auction, the auctioneer announced the auction was closed and a storm was on it's way. We started driving south as fast as we could. It caught up with us outside Fulton and the snow was coming over the hood of the van we were driving. The fellow I was with, and the driver was not about to get stuck, again. He had spent two days in drifts. The good ending is we made it back to Syracuse.

Hope this history can get you to build a reasonable roaring fire, even if it's not sub-zero.

Yep thats the snow I'm talking about, comes in clips, like 3 or 4 ft at a time! Was driving up I-81 one night up past Mexico-Oswego County, heading towards Watertown, was clear night .I was keeping extra eye out for deer, they come out of woodwork so to speak up there. Next thing I know, complete whiteout at 65+ MPH. Holy Crap- wheres the road! After I slid all over that highway, and ended up southbound in Northbound lane, composed myself, now doing 25+ MPH the next thing I know its clear as a moonlit night again, whole storm not even a mile or 2 wide. Unbelievable the way those snow bands come off lake Ontario, same thing out near the Bills stadium Orchard Park, I-90 past Buffalo, between Buffalo and Jamestown, got snowed in in Gowanda, spend 2 days buying smokes on the reservation!

Stop it with the snow stories. I miss our good old Lake Erie snowbelt snowstorms real bad this year. I think we are kind of like the Lutherans that Garrison Keillor talks about in Minnesota - we just aren't happy unless we are suffering! If this weather keeps up, the whole population is going to become a bunch of pussies like them folks down south who close everything down when they get 1" of snow. Anyone know the words to 'Oh,Canada'?

Status
Not open for further replies.