Welding a propane tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I do is rinse them out real good with water then detergent and water, then rinse then a couple more times for good measure. I often rig a blow dryer to blow into a tank until it is dry, having welded a lot of automobile gas tanks. Purging a tank with argon while welding is an excellent thing to do as well, for multiple reasons.

Hi
A friend of mine that is a welder,and presure welder came buy yesterday and welded the fittings on my tanks.They had been scraped by a propane company.He used a hole saw to cut the openings,stick welder to do the welding.After he cut the holes he waved a lit torch under the tank "just in case".The tanks had been open to air since i picked them up a couple of weeks ago.Very little danger if they have been open to air he said.This is the same guy who got blown off a fuel tank he was welding last winter.He said the tank that blew was old and rusty inside,supposadly haden't had fuel in it for years,seeing the rust he thought it should be harmless,blew the end right off the tank and was laying about 50ft from tank.
So be extra carfull if there has been any petroleum in any tank you need to weld.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.