Well I bought a stove today! Again lol revised !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Today my friends was a great day for us here at MRs Pete's we bought a new Jotul F500. We had decided on the F600 however we are getting insulation in our house this week and have roughly 1000 square ft downstairs and 500 up stairs. I went to our stove dealer with the intention of the Jotul F600 but saw the Oslo and Rangeley as well which led to an hour of driving the stove dealer insane with questions. The stove was a show room model and was on sale for 2199 but she went down to 2139 which wasn't really necessary however they are really great place. The list was 2439 so not a bad deal I think. We missed an opportunity at a Blaze King and we couldn't get really used to the Woodstock between my wife and I so we went back to Jotul as the main choice ( sorry Dennis ) lol ! I ended up getting the F500 based on all the good reviews and also an old man buying his 2nd oslo for his house who couldn't stop telling me about his 7:30 pm fill and 6am wake up with enough coals to start again he was a happy camper :) We sold the Harman at a small loss but that disaster is in the past now sadly/gladly now. Thank you all for answering my many questions and giving us advice (again).

Thanks
Pete

here is the stove!

pete

Attachments

• IMG_20120212_134726.jpg
    IMG_20120212_134726.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,179
Good luck with it pete. A fine heater.

I noticed you took the f500 C or L or some other letter, that indicates the front door without the gothic arches.
Was this by preferance?

Congrats Pete 1983. What length wood does the new stove take?

zap

I would also like to point out we really liked the Pacific energy T-6 and the wife wanted that one really bad. Sadly the price for that stove is some what high as we do not have a pacific energy dealer near us who s what I would call Legit! My wife also likes the Rangeley a lot however it is a bit clumsy with the top load from what we can see so Jotul Oslo it is.

Thanks
Pete

Thanks Blue Vomit !

Backwoods & Defiant sorry the pic didn't upload for some reason so I reposted it.

Stump_branch to be honest it didn't matter to me either way but the wife liked the clear glass better which means I liked it better :lol:

Thanks Zap it takes up to a 24" log the box is deceivingly small looking when you get up close it is huge!

Pete

congratulations, again. LOL. Hopefully this one works better for you Pete.

Pete1983 said:
Thanks Blue Vomit !

Backwoods & Defiant sorry the pic didn't upload for some reason so I reposted it.

Stump_branch to be honest it didn't matter to me either way but the wife liked the clear glass better which means I liked it better :lol:

Thanks Zap it takes up to a 24" log the box is deceivingly small looking when you get up close it is huge!

Pete

Didnt really have the choice per say but i kind of liked the clear glass, wife likes the arches, sooo guess what we have...different folks

Haha well they both look beautiful in design to me so I am ok with whatever she wants Happy wife=Happy home lol. Just curious Stump_Branch what type of burn times do you see? I was told to expect 8 to 9 hours max.

Pete

As long as your not building those skids in front of your stove, the glass should be petty safe. Great stove.

Backwoods you just told me how to get it into the house thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can make a pallet bridge from my truck to the front door and roll it in on a furniture dolly then put the ramp up the 5" hearth and roll it up there. Man your a genius :lol:

Thanks
Pete

A pallet bridge huh. Man, you sure are handy with those skids. I hope you don't hate me because I smash mine at work, de nail them cut em up and then burn them as kindlin. I will be making a few of those racks though when next years pile gets moved into the wood shed.

I use a chainsaw and make them into kindling most of the time however they make great items lol. Maybe I will make an airplane someday out of one %-P

Pete

Pete1983 said:
Haha well they both look beautiful in design to me so I am ok with whatever she wants Happy wife=Happy home lol. Just curious Stump_Branch what type of burn times do you see? I was told to expect 8 to 9 hours max.

Pete

8 to 9 hours i consider the typical. Max was 15 but i only saw that once and no idea how/what happened. A warm stove packed up and set right you should see some 10+ hour burns.

She does take some getting used to, but becomes nice and predictable with practice.

Best of luck.

Good looking stove . . . I've been very happy with my Oslo . . . in general I load it up around 9:30 p.m. --a half hour or so before bed . . . and wake up at 5 a.m. to find a bed of coals that I can get going again by loading with small splits or kindling (if I am more impatient.)

Good luck Pete. Let's hope this stove works out really nice for you.

Good luck with that baby!! Warm it well!!

Congrats Pete the Oslo is a beautiful stove! I think you'll be happy with it..

Ray

Ok ok your going to lauph but we went back and took a good look at the jotul rangeley again at my wife's request as we have not picked up the Oslo yet. When we arrived there we realized the Oslo ( she already realized lol ) had no heat shields, blower or cook plate for the top. The rangeley however comes with all that already to go! So we talked it over with the dealer who matched the price of the Oslo and pointed out it is her second best seller next to hearthstone. NOW THE INDICISION IS OVER!!!! Gosh my wife is happy now and tomarrow they come out to insulate the house. This has been a real trial for her as she liked the TL300 a lot and didn't want to buy another stove. She however understands and shares my frustration with Harman so I found the choices with your help here and let her choose the new stove out of them. So now I have to repost pics lol

We top load now and I don't mind it at all! That being said I will probably front load as top load is really kind of pointless on the Rangeley from what I have read and seen of it. We switched to this stove because it had the cook plate heat shield and blower for the same price as the Oslo which didn't come with anything. The blower was 239, heat shield 350 and cook plate was 250 so we would have had to order all that on top of the stove price. I also got to thinking about having a seem less box and like the idea a lot. Truthfully my wife wanted to switch because it had all the accessories and now that we will be insulated it will easily heat our home.

Pete

Congratulations nice stove,.

Status
Not open for further replies.