Well, I did it......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

I brought up around 1 1/4 cords of shoulder season wood to the back of the house, right off of the back porch. Wife was at work this evening and I was watching the kiddos, so I couldn't get into the ceiling insulation for the living room (with having to get them supper, ready for bed, etc.) so I went balls to the wall on getting my shoulder season wood up to the house, stacked and covered...

took the back row from the woodstack (mostly silver maple, ash, and red maple with a little bit of red elm)

2012-10-01_17-23-11_728.jpg

brought it to the back of the house with the ol' tractor

2012-10-01_17-37-28_877.jpg

stacked it up nice and neat, and covered it with some rubber roofing......

2012-10-01_20-48-19_799.jpg

This stack should easily get us into the middle of November, maybe even up til the beginning of December if the weather stays mild. Time will tell.....

Looks like some warm weather for the next few days, so you shouldn't need to burn for a while. Your shoulder season wood sounds better than most people's winter wood.

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Wow thats some nice shoulder wood.

Reactions: ScotO
I do tree removal on the side, Jack, so I can be a little choosy. I usually sell the stuff I don't want (willow, poplar, etc) to some guys I know with OWB's, and keep the better stuff for my stacks. I've even been holding on to a lot of the pine I cut, for using in the maple syrup evaporator. I really like pine in the evaporator, man that chit burns really hot and furiously, giving me some wicked high stove temps. I am going to bank a little pine for shoulder season wood next year.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Have you burned any hemlock? I have a ton of it and I have been a bit of a snob and I haven't burned any of it. I am starting to process some for shoulder seasons.

Have you burned any hemlock? I have a ton of it and I have been a bit of a snob and I haven't burned any of it. I am starting to process some for shoulder seasons.
yeah, it burns hot with lots of snap, crackles and pops. I really like hemlock in a campfire on a cool, calm night.....sends the popping embers up pretty good. I've used it in the stove here and there for a quick 'chiller killer' or to start up a fire, it's worth using IMO.

Looks great Scott nothing like having wood just outside the back door, I do something similar with 4 pallets from a local tile wholesale store they are 52 long x42 wide and i screw two end to end and then i screw one on each end standing up. I build it under the 8x12 gazebo on my back deck and it holds over a cord right outside my back door.

Nice stack of wood.

That makes me think I should do the same. I have thought about it but every time I get a chance to move the firewood it rains and I have to wait again. I need a few dry days followed by a few hours of free time.

As a Woodpile PSYCHO, that 'lil staging exercise barely put a dent in your supply, huh? Must be nice... Good job!

It will be some time before I am ready to start moving some up to the house... I was out today looking at the stacks and trying to figure out what I will take first. I took 4 large cedar logs about 10' long over to a friend today who wanted to cut some lumber out of them...that was going to be my start of season wood, but I gave it to him instead. Its good to be so far ahead you can be picky isnt it...

I brought up around 1 1/4 cords of shoulder season wood to the back of the house, right off of the back porch. Wife was at work this evening and I was watching the kiddos, so I couldn't get into the ceiling insulation for the living room (with having to get them supper, ready for bed, etc.) so I went balls to the wall on getting my shoulder season wood up to the house, stacked and covered...

took the back row from the woodstack (mostly silver maple, ash, and red maple with a little bit of red elm)

View attachment 75686

brought it to the back of the house with the ol' tractor

View attachment 75687

stacked it up nice and neat, and covered it with some rubber roofing......

View attachment 75689

This stack should easily get us into the middle of November, maybe even up til the beginning of December if the weather stays mild. Time will tell.....

If I were the wife, I wouldn't be buying that excuse, especially with the living room project going on.Just saying :p

Could be why I don't have those issues ;lol

Nice loads of fire wood !!! You guys are gonna be toasty !

Looks like you took from the leaning corner first?
Git er dun while you can.
I've got 1/2 cord of pine and the same amount of soft Maple in the front of the shed that I hope will get me through Nov., at least.
Then, I start on the oak.:cool:
You're right Dixie. This goofin' off needs to stop. I need renovation pics. I'm having withdrawals.
When will the madness end?:p

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Scotty - you had to build any fires yet? My in-laws are in PA and they've had a dozen or so already, but they are older and like their house a good bit warmer than me. I haven't had any yet but it's getting close....

You're all prepped & ready. Musta been a boy scout :)

Nice neat looking stacks. A cord + on one evening, good job.
Is the cover the same roofing you scored to cover the acre of wood you have out back ?

You're all prepped & ready. Musta been a boy scout :)

Nice neat looking stacks. A cord + on one evening, good job.
Is the cover the same roofing you scored to cover the acre of wood you have out back ?
Yeah, have a couple extra pieces laying around. I hustled but got 'er stacked and covered before the rain came late last night.

Oh, I was a scout many moons ago! ;)

Be prepared. ;)

Reactions: ScotO and Realstone
a true firewood connoiseur

Looks like you took from the leaning corner first?
Yeah, I'm amazed that leaning tower of wood lasted as long as it did (almost two years!)

You're right Dixie. This goofin' off needs to stop. I need renovation pics. I'm having withdrawals.
When will the madness end?:p
don't worry Dave.....she's got me by the short hairs. We're gonna be hanging ceiling by Sunday, you can bank on it. Pics to come (I know how you ride me) but I enjoy the hazing (I think I'm a little guilty of it myself, eh?;))

thats my planned project for tonight...except i'll be pushing a wheel barrow instead of a small tractor and trailer....glad i don't have far to go

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Looks good Scotty, it looks like we will push some shoulder season wood (hemlock & white pine) in the middle of the week, looks like a cool down this weekend.

zap

Looks good Scotty, it looks like we will push some shoulder season wood (hemlock & white pine) in the middle of the week, looks like a cool down this weekend.

zap
yeah, Zap. Looks like fall isn't too far away. Get that wood moving done before the cold sets in so 'Mum' doesn't have to trapse across the backyard in the morning frost or dew with her slippers on for a piece of wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.