Well, I did it......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotty - you had to build any fires yet? My in-laws are in PA and they've had a dozen or so already, but they are older and like their house a good bit warmer than me. I haven't had any yet but it's getting close....
RO, we've built around 4 fire so far this season, basically just to keep the house from being chilly in the morning
(Wife considers 70° to be 'chilly' ;lol). Looks like this weekend into next week may be the official start of the shoulder season.

Scott, I too noticed you got rid of that leaning stack! Good for you for getting ready. It could turn cold any time now and they are saying after a day of 75 Thursday, Friday and beyond will only be in the low 50's and low 30's at night. So today, I also got some wood around and ready to burn. We've had several fires already but it won't be long before we burn 24 hours per day.

Reactions: ScotO
Good job Scotty, how are you liking that rubber roofing?
seems to be working great! Only drawback is when you grab it with your bare hands, you are COVERED in black residue. Probably from the sun breaking down the outer layers of it or something. Either way, it's filthy.......but it definately performs waaay better than tarps.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
seems to be working great! Only drawback is when you grab it with your bare hands, you are COVERED in black residue. Probably from the sun breaking down the outer layers of it or something. Either way, it's filthy.......but it definately performs waaay better than tarps.....

Good for you, just have to remember your gloves probably hard to wash off to.

Looks great Scotty, you just might want to put something on top because that rubber roofing will blow off. I am going to be doing that soon, I raise some up to my deck with the Bobcat, and I think I am going to put a cord at the basement level that is also covered. I think that rubber roofing will clean it self up after a few rains. I do not notice anything coming off on mine anymore.

Looks great Scotty, you just might want to put something on top because that rubber roofing will blow off. I am going to be doing that soon, I raise some up to my deck with the Bobcat, and I think I am going to put a cord at the basement level that is also covered. I think that rubber roofing will clean it self up after a few rains. I do not notice anything coming off on mine anymore.
Thanks,GAWN.... I put a drywall screw with a washer at all four corners of the rubber, screwed the rubber to the top row of splits.....We had some good rain and a little wind the past 24 hours and she didn't move. I think it will stay put...

Thanks,GAWN.... I put a drywall screw with a washer at all four corners of the rubber, screwed the rubber to the top row of splits.....We had some good rain and a little wind the past 24 hours and she didn't move. I think it will stay put...
Scotty, how do you remove the wood with the rubber being screwed down?

Scotty, how do you remove the wood with the rubber being screwed down?

I'll take the wood out from under the billets the rubber is screwed down to. I only have a screw in it every 4 feet or so. As it starts to look shabby, I'll re-screw to a new row using the existing srewholes in the rubber. Yeah, its not as easy as putting something on top of the rubber, but it guarantees that the rubber won't blow off....

I'll take the wood out from under the billets the rubber is screwed down to. I only have a screw in it every 4 feet or so. As it starts to look shabby, I'll re-screw to a new row using the existing srewholes in the rubber. Yeah, its not as easy as putting something on top of the rubber, but it guarantees that the rubber won't blow off....
It will be interesting if you keep that approach all winter as it sounds a bit of a hassle. I like to move a log on top of the rubber and bend it back to get to the wood then roll it back after removal. I like your approach on the big stack, but the little one by the house that sounds like a lot of work since you normally take wood from the top.

Soon you will build a wood shed...and stop worrying about these stacks. Better get those honey-dos finished first thou...ha
Lets try not to Overkill the shed thou....40'x50' should be plenty...;)

It will be interesting if you keep that approach all winter as it sounds a bit of a hassle. I like to move a log on top of the rubber and bend it back to get to the wood then roll it back after removal. I like your approach on the big stack, but the little one by the house that sounds like a lot of work since you normally take wood from the top.
I'll only be doing that stack til it gets really cold out (late November/early December). The rest of the winter I take the wood right into the basement on a weekly basis. So the stack I built out back the other night is just for the shoulder season. No way would I do that all year, that WOULD be a PITA!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.