Well I think It's about that time!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.drew

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
Michigan
Well boys and girls I think its about that time , for the last to weeks I have been burning 24/7 . I don't see it letting up anytime soon . Is anyone else burning 24/7

24/7 has begun here in NE PA.

24/7 here for the past couple of days with the insert. The Englander will get fired up as well for the next couple of nights as the temps drop into the teens for the first time this year.

dr.drew said:
Well boys and girls I think its about that time , for the last to weeks I have been burning 24/7 . I don't see it letting up anytime soon . Is anyone else burning 24/7

Ditto here in WI.

Shari

Amen to that, here on Long Island. :)

Started a couple weeks ago, though this week, the fire has had to be restarted a couple mornings due to smaller loads.

One day last week hit 50*, otherwise 24/7 - this week, highs in mid-30's and low in teens/low 20's. It's definitely 24/7 time is seems! I'm happy about it - no more cold starts....Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
One day last week hit 50*, otherwise 24/7 - this week, highs in mid-30's and low in teens/low 20's. It's definitely 24/7 time is seems! I'm happy about it - no more cold starts....Cheers!
I agree about the cold starts , I have a soap stone so i feel your pain

Aside from a day or two that's been warmer, I've been 24x7 for a few weeks now...

For a few days now.

dr.drew said:
NH_Wood said:

Hey, we too have a soapstone but it does not take that much longer to heat up the place than it did with older steel or cast stoves. We're rather happy and proud to have the soapstone.

As for 24/7, we do lots of that because we can't just turn up the thermostat. The Fireview gives us all of our heat and we have no backup.

I will say it is easier to keep an even temperature when the weather is colder. October and April sometimes get a bit testy. Light fire, let it go out. Light another one and let it go out, etc. Now we just keep it going.

I'm shovin' red oak into the oslo.....nice!

Load her 5:15 a.m., 4:00 p.m. and around 8:30 p.m. That 4:00 load is a light load for now.

More or less running 24/7 since I installed my stove this week. Nice to NOT hear the furnace run.

I think its safe to say that the Cold weather is here to stay........burrrrrrrrr cold outside! :shut:
24/7 for sure!

Yep 24/7 here with a long winter in site. Lots of dry wood & plenty more to c/c/s. A C

I have been 24/7 for a few weeks now. Also have been burning my little 3cb pretty much 24/7 for the last week or so too.

Backwoods Savage said:
dr.drew said:
NH_Wood said:

Hey, we too have a soapstone but it does not take that much longer to heat up the place than it did with older steel or cast stoves. We're rather happy and proud to have the soapstone.

As for 24/7, we do lots of that because we can't just turn up the thermostat. The Fireview gives us all of our heat and we have no backup.

I will say it is easier to keep an even temperature when the weather is colder. October and April sometimes get a bit testy. Light fire, let it go out. Light another one and let it go out, etc. Now we just keep it going.
I also enjoy my soap stone I quess I am still learning this stove and don't know all the tricks

We aren't 24/7 burners in the true sense of the phrase. We set the household thermostats as low as they will go on the 5 zones. We use the Fireview to keep our primary "hang out" space snug and cozy. Other spaces? they stay chilly when unused or are revived as required by the boiler and the forced hot water system. And we're fine with it! We're not "about" eliminating the fuel oil, we're about using it thoughtfully and minimally and heating the space we primarily use so that we're comfortable in it.

In my workroom I set the forced hot air system to maintain a "base" temperature, about 45 °F , using the progammable thermostat to bring the space to the high 50s before I head on out to fire up the Classic. It can bring the space to 70-ish in a couple of hours and keep it comfy all day long. A late afternoon rekindle will keep the furnace from kicking on overnight, usually. If it's really cold, the plentitude of windows will allow a cool down, but the furnace will maintain the base temperature and ensure high 50s when I go head out with my coffee.

But yeah, I'm definitely in "heating mode" with respect to my morning routine.

dr.drew said:

24/7 for sometime, looks like some colder weather coming in for this week so the beech and sugar maple will be coming in today along with the cherry.

zap

Been going 24/7 for quite a while now.

You betcha. Have been doing 24/7 on both my wood and pellet stoves now for about 3 weeks. Only turn off the pellet stove to clean it. No sense in wasting good matches having to relight the stove.

2 months 24/7 here.

Have been doing 24/7 for awhile and for the last two days I have actually gotten to open up the stove and let it stretch it's legs with this coldsnap we have had.

Last Thursday started 24/7. Tonight I am breaking out the vintage 2 yr oak to see how it holds up to the 20 degree overnight lows. I've been burning 18 month oak and it throws heat, but tends to coal up during overnight burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.