Well, it happened- Chimney fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will definitely loom for sales. We (cautiously) started a fire and all seems well, the draft has improved significantly.

You never have enough. I also keep 2 in my pick up at all times besides the 4 around the house. How many times I spot a car on fire.
I can grab them fast in my truck if I cant get to them in the house

I keep a couple of the 4 lb units around - 1 in the stove room by the wood rack........
good advice. I keep one at the ready near each stove (2)....and make sure they remain in the green.

You want the things at the exits. Not near the stove. If you are running into a fire you want to already have it in your hand.

You want the things at the exits. Not near the stove. If you are running into a fire you want to already have it in your hand.

Love it. As a person who has entered a burning house once, it is damn handy to have one by the doors. Atleast have them there and get one or two more for beside the stove.

Ain't gonna find an extinguisher anywhere near my stoves. And I own 31 of them.

"Danger of explosion

A stored pressure dry chemical extinguisher becomes a bomb when it is thrown into a fire. It is a time delayed bomb perhaps, since the unit is manufactured to easily withstand an internal pressure of 390 psi to 720 psi, depending on the model. This of course makes the explosion all the more violent when the heat finally raises the pressure inside the canister beyond it’s breaking point. Even an “empty” extinguisher is a sealed container. Heat will force the residual gases trapped in the canister to expand, pressing outward from inside the canister until the weakest point ruptures. This may be explosive or the bottle may act as a projectile. This is one reason we never recommend tossing an extinguisher, not even a “spent” unit, into a fire."

Reactions: tfdchief
1 hangs on the wall beside the kitchen entry door, another in the stove room by the wood rack (not by the wood stove) - it sits between the inside rack and the patio door. Both easy to reach from inside the room, or grab on the way into either entry to the house. Nothing pressurized ever goes near the stove.

BB i see the point about too close to the stove, but would anyone even think of tossing an extinguisher into a fire?

Reactions: Swedishchef
2 questions BB:
1- Why the hell do you own 31 extinguishers?! Doesn't that cost a pretty penny to maintain?
2- Why would someone put an extinguisher in a fire, they must be suicidal!

Went to a mattress warehouse auction to bid on something else. Because of the size of the place it had 38 extinguishers all with current inspections on them. I wanted a couple but they auctioned them as a lot. I bought the whole lot for $145 and sold five of them to people that didn't want them all for more than I paid for them. All still charged and I can turn them over a couple of times a year to shake up the powder as well as somebody I would pay.

BB that is a smoking' deal (no pun intended). ;lol

Dustin have you thought about printing out a few threads (or this one) for your dad to have a look at? I found this really useful for my dad, who is also stubborn and a technophobe.

I did go in and edit the worst bits out of a few of my posts before printing them out to make sure there would be no hard feelings :).

Reactions: Swedishchef
This raises another question - kinda ironic, but do these things,intended to prevent tragic fires, actually become bombs for firefighters entering a building that's fully engaged?

I don't have a printer, but that sounds like a great idea. I also have a pdf of the manual to the stove that I could do the same with, especially after we get the new cat put in. Maybe go to the library and print it off?

Reactions: Cynnergy
Old dogs can learn. I sure did after I stumbled across this place in 2005. Completely changed my approach to wood burning after doing it for more years than I care to count. I was making every mistake in the book.

Waded in thinking I knew all about it and lurked for a while and found out that I didn't.

And if he needs a point of reference, I am 66 come February and have been toasting trees to heat the house since 1977.

Hot stove and flue yes, and so was cut it in the Spring and Summer and burn it in the Fall. In an old stove and unlined chimney.

This place cost me a fortune in stove and liner purchases. And busting butt to get ahead on the wood. Thank you Eric Johnson (one of the original Mods).

This raises another question - kinda ironic, but do these things,intended to prevent tragic fires, actually become bombs for firefighters entering a building that's fully engaged?

Lots of stuff blow up in a fire -- aerosol cans, cement foundations, ammo . . . fire extinguishers are relatively low on the list of hazards we have to contend with in an actual fire.

I would truly love to have it professionally cleaned and inspected, but we just can't afford it. We cleaned the chimney out as well as possible, and there hasn't been any smoke inside or anything, everything seems fine. I have a feeling what happened is a coal was sucked up the chimney with the bypass open, and landed at the top of the chimney where there is a small ledge inside. The draft gave it extra air and the rest is history. The fire was only in the top few feet of the chimney. The rest of the chimney had lots of buildup, but no evidence of a fire. I hate to think of it this way, but we have plenty of smoke detectors and the house is insured.

I would truly love to have it professionally cleaned and inspected, but we just can't afford it. We cleaned the chimney out as well as possible, and there hasn't been any smoke inside or anything, everything seems fine. I have a feeling what happened is a coal was sucked up the chimney with the bypass open, and landed at the top of the chimney where there is a small ledge inside. The draft gave it extra air and the rest is history. The fire was only in the top few feet of the chimney. The rest of the chimney had lots of buildup, but no evidence of a fire. I hate to think of it this way, but we have plenty of smoke detectors and the house is insured.

You see son,you live in the reality that not everyone has the money to do what should be done.
Years ago I was in the same situation for years. I could not afford the money for oil for my furnace and used old beat up stoves in flues that I should not have..but I got away with it.
I'm not going to comment either way on your situation. You are on top of it . I would wish you a safe and happy new year.

there hasn't been any smoke inside or anything, everything seems fine.

Well, you know it's not "fine," it's "somewhat tolerable for now with safety concerns." Let's not conflate those two. It sure seems you know that and will have your own challenges... just sayin'.

Well, you know it's not "fine," it's "somewhat tolerable for now with safety concerns." Let's not conflate those two. It sure seems you know that and will have your own challenges... just sayin'.
You quoted him wrong..my name showed up instead of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.