Well pump issue outside- advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Hi everyone,

So I've been noticing the ground around my well pump has been sinking a bit. Just recently it has gotten very bad.

Here is what I have so far- it looks like there's about a 4 by 4 concrete wall around the pump. If you look at the picture I believe the pump is the round brown circle in the middle of the square depression.

Last owner said that they were oak boards covering the pump. They have obviously rotted out and now are useless.

What should I do about this? Just go buy some more pressure-treated Oak boards and cover it? Why isn't it filled with dirt anyway?

This is the first time I'll be working on anything regarding my well, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

20210520_185133.jpg

If it's sinking around the well, you may have a leak that is undermining things. If you can, see if the well motor runs when there is no water demand in the house, over a period of time. I had a similar situation where the pitless adapter leaked. There was no undermining, but the water came up to the surface and I had a mini pond around the wellhead.

Is it sinking around the well? I don't know. I don't know if the boards just broke. I haven't opened it up yet. It looks 3-4 feet deep. The grass has been dry but there is plastic that is under the grass but over the boards.

What is a pitless adapter?

From Google:
A pitless adapter is attached to your well casing to provide a sanitary and frost- proof seal between the casing and the water line running to your home. ... Water from the well is diverted horizontally at the adapter to prevent it from freezing.

I have little idea what they do about well heads in other parts of the country, but that looks either like a dug well, a cistern, or septic tank. In this part of the country, there is usually an access point where the well can be accessed for maintenance, and the same holds true for cisterns. Only septic tanks are covered over.

Do a little digging and post a picture of what you find.

I talked to the previous owner. He confirmed that there is 3-4 feet of unfilled space around the underground well pump head. So it seems like the oak boards that were there just rotted and broke.

I likely need to make a new cover. It's around 5x5. I would love a high density plastic but I think that is going to cost around $500 or so.

Any ideas? My best idea is to get 2 sheets of 4x8 pressure treated plywood, cut it to size, and double it up to cover the hole completely and give it strength. Use root resistant screws. Silicone the seam, cover with plastic sheeting, then cover with sod.

I would avoid pressure treated over a water source. Not sure I would want leaching into the ground water. Trex type decking might be better option. Its not structurally rated but screw two of them together and flip them vertical and use it as joist and I would not worry about it.

Reactions: EbS-P
That's a good thought about the pressure treated wood being toxic. But I don't think the Trex decking would work at all because it's so flexible. I need to put dirt over it and then sod, and then go over it with the lawn mower.

I sit here asking myself why not just bring the well casing up to grade?
Around here that is against code and a real PIA in general for any service work.

Hi Bad LP, thanks for responding. I have a really nice back yard- it would be a huge eye sore and put a wrench in playing ball with my kiddo.

Attachments

• 16217026075336614773124289693537.jpg
    16217026075336614773124289693537.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 137
I have no idea what your laws are but in Ontario Canada well casings must
protrude 18 in above ground so that groundwater (surface water) can not leak into
and contaminate your well. Only makes sense to me. Safe drinking water is more important than
your ball playing. But that's me. Put a wishing well over it plants nice vegetation, flowers, shurbs

Same old school well pit here. Mine has a concrete cover/top with a 3 foot by 3 foot opening that I built a lid for out of green treat 2x6. The top is exposed. Guessing I made that cover 15 years ago? Possibly more! We do get to enjoy ground water over the well casing occasionally in a wet spring. Yummy.
I am on my second sump pump recessed in the floor to keep the ground water out. I've been in that pit many times repairing pressure switch's, pressure tanks, and electronics etc. I should have raised the casing above ground when we bought the place. Very stupid.

image.jpgSometimes the family health needs to come before play space. This was just above grade for years and I just had it raised to 18” for inspection purposes.
Now to build a guard to protect the electric feed from the landscapers.

Reactions: begreen
Like they said above it should be raised... you can always put a wishing well around it for decoration... If you must leave it below grade get some cedar 2x6 or similar rough cut if you can find it. It will take 10-20 years before that fails...

Reactions: mwhitnee
What company makes that?
I think the one in the pic is Hubbell Quazite but you can get them from other electrical equipment manufacturers. It's basically an underground splice can with an open bottom. Not cheap but you can drive a tractor over it all day.

Reactions: mwhitnee
I think I might go with cedar boards, the plastic covers are not big enough and expensive. Would using pressure treated green board really be a factor with toxicity? It's a 140 foot artesian well.

Why would any health issues be an issue when the top of the well is sealed?
So the guy who seals it is giving you a guarantee that it will not fail for
HOW LONG and if it does fail then what?
Sorry I prefer to have the seal above ground where it can be checked
every so often without the chance of contamination

I think I might go with cedar boards, the plastic covers are not big enough and expensive. Would using pressure treated green board really be a factor with toxicity? It's a 140 foot artesian well.
I would not hesitate to use PT planks in this application. If your well has natural positive pressure then there's a very low risk of contamination with surface water.

Why would any health issues be an issue when the top of the well is sealed?
It's vented on the under side or bottom of the mounting flange unless its an old school cap that was open with no gaskets or screens.
If it was sealed tight how would a vacuum not form from withdrawal or vise versa, what would keep the top on when it refills?

Now I realize your well may not be a drilled well thru bedrock but given your location I suspect our wells are the same.
Be careful digging in there. Lotsa electrons in those wires. ;)

It's a bad day when you let the smoke out of the wires.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
That well head looks to be in pretty good shape. If it were my house I would just build a new pressure treated deck over top of it supported by the concrete. Should get another 50 years or so before it needs replacing again. If you intend to cover it with grass just take some measurements off the house or other fixed landmarks so you can find it and don't back a concrete truck over it by accident.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Status
Not open for further replies.