Welp, I'm Out For A Week :|

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
Another one of those stories. Had the chimney swept and inspected this morning and went to start up the insert afterwards and found the baffle board essentially destroyed right down the middle and one of the retaining clips that's welded inside missing. I was sitting around the corner the entire time and the guy never asked, "Hey, how do you get this out?" Would have gladly told him how. Needless to say, I called the company and left a message, and I'll probably follow that up with an email later tonight. I'm not mad, at least not yet, just disappointed. If they don't offer to pay for the replacement, then I'll start getting mad.

Ordered a new board on Amazon just now - how come these things aren't on Cyber Monday super clearance??? I mean this is a hot item this time of year (ha!). It's not scheduled to get here until next week so will have to live with a cold basement until then, but I've been surprised by faster shipping before.

But to turn a negative into a positive, I'm going to upgrade the vermiculite baffle board to a Lynn Manufacturing Superwool baffle board. From reading other posts here, Lynn seems to be one of the OEM suppliers to the hearth industry, so I'm glad I found their replacement on Amazon, otherwise I'd be getting a new vermiculite board for more money.

Will follow this up with a review once it gets here and am able to fire up again.

You are right not very professional, he should have maned up and told you he made a mistake.

Another one of those stories. Had the chimney swept and inspected this morning and went to start up the insert afterwards and found the baffle board essentially destroyed right down the middle and one of the retaining clips that's welded inside missing. I was sitting around the corner the entire time and the guy never asked, "Hey, how do you get this out?" Would have gladly told him how. Needless to say, I called the company and left a message, and I'll probably follow that up with an email later tonight. I'm not mad, at least not yet, just disappointed. If they don't offer to pay for the replacement, then I'll start getting mad.

Ordered a new board on Amazon just now - how come these things aren't on Cyber Monday super clearance??? I mean this is a hot item this time of year (ha!). It's not scheduled to get here until next week so will have to live with a cold basement until then, but I've been surprised by faster shipping before.

But to turn a negative into a positive, I'm going to upgrade the vermiculite baffle board to a Lynn Manufacturing Superwool baffle board. From reading other posts here, Lynn seems to be one of the OEM suppliers to the hearth industry, so I'm glad I found their replacement on Amazon, otherwise I'd be getting a new vermiculite board for more money.

Will follow this up with a review once it gets here and am able to fire up again.

Way to stay positive, I'd be furious. This is exactly why I try to do as much myself as I possibly can. That guy the sweep company sent over is a tool.

Good luck with the new baffle. Curious to hear what you think about it.

Way to stay positive, I'd be furious. This is exactly why I try to do as much myself as I possibly can. That guy the sweep company sent over is a tool.

+1

Way to be!

Bless them for giving you this opportunity to upgrade to the SuperWool baffle.:)

Reactions: Woody Stover

I don't know about a tool, maybe a little cowardly. He was pretty soft spoken to begin with. Mistakes happen, I get it, but I do kinda question the judgement here. I'll give them an opportunity to make it right, if they make it tough though, that's when the BP starts going up.

I would do it myself, its not hard especially with a Sooteater, but if for some reason I ever needed to prove that it's been cleaned/inspected at least annually, this gives me documentation. I also like the peace of mind of having the system looked over each year. I've had another company out twice before that was really good, tried to go a little more local this time and they were available sooner than later, so it'll be back with the old next year.

A few years back we were having trouble with the cable tv reception. Two guys came out to fix it, one experienced guy and a rookie, a trainee. We had the tv plugged into a VCR deck.
The guys finished up and we had a good picture on the tv again. They were headed out the door, when I, for some reason, decided to check the connection to the VCR deck. The plug, where the tv plugged into the back of the VCR deck was broken off!

I went right to the experienced guy and told him we had a problem. He looked at the broken deck, and said he didn't know nothing, then he looked at the rookie. We both knew that the rookie had broken that deck.
The rookie looked embarassed, looked guilty as hell, but he started lying, claiming he hadn't done it.
In a minute I was on the phone with the supervisor.

It was a PITA but we finally got the cable tv company to pay for the damage, took about a month, really, it was hardly worth the trouble for a new VCR deck.

A few years back we were having trouble with the cable tv reception. Two guys came out to fix it, one experienced guy and a rookie, a trainee. We had the tv plugged into a VCR deck.
The guys finished up and we had a good picture on the tv again. They were headed out the door, when I, for some reason, decided to check the connection to the VCR deck. The plug, where the tv plugged into the back of the VCR deck was broken off!

I went right to the experienced guy and told him we had a problem. He looked at the broken deck, and said he didn't know nothing, then he looked at the rookie. We both knew that the rookie had broken that deck.
The rookie looked embarassed, looked guilty as hell, but he started lying, claiming he hadn't done it.
In a minute I was on the phone with the supervisor.

It was a PITA but we finally got the cable tv company to pay for the damage, took about a month, really, it was hardly worth the trouble for a new VCR deck.

One question: what's a VCR? ;) :)

And yes . . . I kid. I think I still have a collection of old fire safety video cassettes . . . and even remember back to the days of the video disks and Super 8 home movies.

Only a few years ago? ;)

Anywho, so far have made some progress. The company seems willing to make it right. They said they called and left a message, but didn't get a call, but they did follow up via email asking for details on the insert. Told them I ordered one right away so I could get burning sooner, so hopefully they'll pay the cost for that. If anything, I saved them $3 on the purchase price plus foreign transaction fee and shipping.

As far as the replacement. Amazon now says its due to arrive Thursday, not sure where they got that from as the UPS tracking info still only shows that the shipping label was created. If UPS actually received it today, they would have scanned it by now at origin. Maybe Amazon has access to UPS' back end?

EDIT: Amazon must have access to UPS' back end because this morning the tracking shows it was scanned about 10 minutes before I posted this originally. It's coming from MA, which is a two day lane to me. This is why I like choosing free shipping with independent sellers that ship their own product, my experience is that a lot of times you'll get it a lot sooner than indicated without picking an expedited shipping option. So my week is now 4 days.

Last edited:
As a sweep, one of the first things I check is the condition of the baffle board. If it looks degraded, knocked about, or in anyway on its last legs I always always mention it to the customer before even moving it. Not saying that's what happened here but a lot of people will have busted baffles and not even know until I point it out. To easy to be on the hook for it afterwards.

Sounds like this sweep does what I've heard/seen many others do. Messed up your baffle and just slid things back in place and got out the door. Cheesy, but atleast it sounds like they're going good for it.

Right and we discussed the state of some of the fire bricks before he started, too, which I knew I needed to replace anyway.

Yeah, I know it wasn't that way before, this would be hard for me to miss - it was the first thing I noticed as I went to put some wood in. Plus one half was put back differently than the other. Plus, I'm not sure how he knocked off the piece of iron to keep the baffle in place, I would think that would take some force, but maybe not. I don't think it'll be an issue though, the other side still has the clip.

Atleast you caught it right away. I'd not be having them back that's for sure.

All to common sweeps rushing or not wanting to admit they're not familiar with something.

Replacement baffle showed up today...started a new thread for that.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/superwool-baffle-board.165051/

Just waiting for my check to show up in the mail at this point. They've been very responsive and even said they hadn't talked to the sweep yet about it. If that's the case, they're doing this on my word only, so was impressed with that. Maybe they're lurking around here? _g