1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Went out shooting today with my wife.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by schlot, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Looking at buying a hand gun for us. Since my wife had never shot a gun before a friend lent us a 22 Ruger and a Kel Tec 9mm (pocket size) for us to try.

She enjoyed the 22 even though it was a larger gun but the 9mm kick and compact size made her uncomfortable. She really liked the 22 for ease of use and firing (no recoil).

Even though we were getting the gun as a home defense I'm thinking we will get a nice 22 and let her get used to it. Get some firing time in and get use to it before moving into a 38 or 40 perhaps.

I know the 22 isn't a good home defense gun, but if she doesn't think she could ever use it, a larger gun is not a good option. Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike T

Mike T Member

Loc:
    VT
    The 9mm recoils more in that weapon due to the low mass/size. A larger weapon would recoil much less, but if the 9mm is bothersome, the 40 you mentioned is worse.

It is always good to have a 22, ammo is cheap and it reinforces good habits. Is the 22 an auto or revolver?
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    There are a zillion sites on the Internet dedicated to endless discussions about guns of every description. Hearth.com isn't one of them. Rick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.