Were you nervous during your first overnight burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may help to know that installing the stove to manufacturer's specs
Having lived in houses with wood burning appliances most of my life, and knowing many of them were likely not up to any codes or standards that we have today, I can honestly say I never had any worries with my most recent, and current, wood stove, which I installed myself and had W.E.T.T. inspected for insurance reasons. That is not to say I didn't check things out during the first few fires, but once I could see, and feel, that it was all working as it should I never felt any more uncomfortable with it then my coffee maker, or my hot water tank, or leaving the oven on when leaving the house, or the actual wiring in my house, or,,,, etc...
Providing everything is installed correctly and up to code, and your chimney is clean, and you don't stack your wood too close to the stove or something stupid like that, the main worry people seem to have is over firing the stove. (Operating it above the designed operating limits). But how big a concern is that?
Most wood stoves, I believe, are designed to "contain" an over fire situation well beyond the operating range they are designed to be operated in. This means that even if you do over fire a stove, it's not going to burn your house down. You might warp your stove, or even crack a weld, and you'll definitely cause premature wear on the insides (burn tubes, cat, etc...) especially if you make a habit of it, but actually catching the house on fire because of operating beyond the working parameters is something I've never heard of that ever happening with modern wood stoves. But I could be wrong.
Perhaps you could chime in on that Jake. Being a firefighter, how many house fires have you been to that could be attributed directly too getting the wood stove too hot? I'm not talking about chimney fires from creosote, or fires started by leaving stuff to close to the wood stove. I mean how many cases of house fires do you know of that were started by modern wood stoves that were installed up to code, but simply operated above their designed operating parameters?

Easy answer . . . very few. By far the most fires I see are from a) improper disposal of ashes, b) chimney fires due to negligence in checking and cleaning and c) folks that either failed to install the stove per manufacturer's specs or had combustibles too close to the stove.

Reactions: dafattkidd
It may help to know that installing the stove to manufacturer's specs

Easy answer . . . very few. By far the most fires I see are from a) improper disposal of ashes, b) chimney fires due to negligence in checking and cleaning and c) folks that either failed to install the stove per manufacturer's specs or had combustibles too close to the stove.

This is some of the best information from one of the most reliable sources I've ever read anywhere. Thanks for posting it.

I can echo firefighterjakes's response as well. As a career firefighter myself I have never been on a house fire (wood burner related) where everything was installed correctly and functioning correctly. There is always something out of place for a fire to happen. Improper venting, the wrong pipe, corroded pipe, burning all manner of improper items and having combustibles far too close are what cause fires. Oh and least I forget candles and space heaters with stacks of crap around them. My experience is that typically people that are concerned with doing a good job and installing properly and making sure they have functioning smoke detectors don't have fires because they have their heads on straight. People who don't care or don't appreciate how easily a fire can start are the ones who make work for me.

That said even though I knew that my stove and venting was more than good to go my first overnight burn was a bit worrisome. Now I know my stove well, so I load it and let it burn for 20 minutes or so while I watch it then turn it down for the night. My stove lets me know if it is ready to be turned to low for the night and I'm sure others understand what I mean. Stoves have a learning curve for sure. What a great way to heat though!

Reactions: firefighterjake
One thing that helped me be more comfortable with overnight burns was getting my Digital Thermocouple reader with alarm, I have it set for my max temp of 700 on the stove top which is still safe but gives me comfort in knowing if the stove goes nuclear after I go to bed I will be alerted. I also have smoke detectors and CO alarms all over the house.

Since I tend to switch out stoves every year or two I am nervous for the first few overnights but everything is usually fine since I do my own installs I know it is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.