Wet Air intake /

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Racer

Sep 22, 2008
South West NH (Mason)
So my air intake hose now has condesation building on it.. due to the coldness of the air vs. the warmth of the room it is being pulled into..

I imagine there isn't much I can do about this... but... I have to ask any suggestions? or Do I really have a problem?

wrap insulation around the pipe to keep the warm room air away from it.

Hmmmm if we could only figure a way to get the condensate to give us humidified air ;)

No condensation on mine. It's an 11 foot run
though that goes down through the fireplace
ash dump, thru the basement then outside.
I went down to see if maybe there was a little
condensation where it first enters the basement
but nada.

Yep, insulate it, doesnt look real great but its behind the stove in the corner and you cant see it. My Harman dripped to the point of small puddles on the floor until I insulated it.

Hmmm, not a drop of condensation on mine. Dry as a bone.

I dont think the heat and cold pipe is all that causes the condensation, Its also the volume and speed of the air flowing through the pipe - the same way your A/C condensates or a can of compressed air gets cold and condensates when you use it more than a few seconds at a time, but anyway, I just loosely drape aluminum foil over my pipe leaving the bottom open ( where it cant be seen) and it cuts the frost down dramaticly and also looks good since it hides the rust created from the condensation

My plan is to take use a piece of water heater blanket with the foil wrap on the outside as an insulator...

should provide plenty of insulation and have a reasonable appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.