Wh-23fs burnpot placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcs0809

Nov 14, 2016
nashua
Hooked up our used breckwell p23. ignitor gets hot but I noticed the burnpot assembly does not fit flush against the wall. assembly metal is bent a little. should it sit all the way up against the wall in order to get the ignitor to light faster?

Seems the pellets get hot but don't light because the ignitor is 1/2" from the burnpot right now.

Yes, this came missing the firebrick which we plan to get soon.

Attachments

• 14793498075241570161737.jpg
    14793498075241570161737.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 154
Don't burn until you get the firebrick in place as that has the potential to warp your back wall and expose other components to too high a heat level.

Need to clean up that burn pot ... carbon build-up or creosote? Make sure the burn pot is clean, holes unobstructed and seats properly in housing. Can it be removed from the housing? Hard to tell from the photo exactly where it is bent...

The ignitor itself is not what lights the pellets. It is the source of super heated air that gets drawn through the tube surrounding it. Need to keep the tube free of ash so it should be part of your cleaning routine. Not sure about exact placement within the ignitor tube in relation to burn pot though. From the video, the ignitor should be mounted 1/4" out from the back of the mounting housing. Time 1:52 on the video shows placement within the housing that you would see from the burnpot side. Probably need to confirm length of ignitor is appropriate for the stove and installed to proper depth. Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Don't burn until you get the firebrick in place as that has the potential to warp your back wall and expose other components to too high a heat level.

Need to clean up that burn pot ... carbon build-up or creosote? Make sure the burn pot is clean, holes unobstructed and seats properly in housing. Can it be removed from the housing? Hard to tell from the photo exactly where it is bent...

The ignitor itself is not what lights the pellets. It is the source of super heated air that gets drawn through the tube surrounding it. Need to keep the tube free of ash so it should be part of your cleaning routine. Not sure about exact placement within the ignitor tube in relation to burn pot though. From the video, the ignitor should be mounted 1/4" out from the back of the mounting housing. Time 1:52 on the video shows placement within the housing that you would see from the burnpot side. Probably need to confirm length of ignitor is appropriate for the stove and installed to proper depth. Hope that helps...

Thanks. i will not burn until i find the right firebrick. Seems pretty expensive but is needed.

Burnpot can be removed yes. it is bent on the "front" side that faces the ignitor. The ignitor turns red and pellets get hot but where there burnpot sits now, it seems like the pot is filled with pellets all the way to the top before it will even ignite so i 'm thinking they are about 1/2 from the ignitor and maybe its either not getting hot enough or just not close enough.

Actual burnpot is bent or the housing? If it is just the burnpot, they can be replaced. FWIW, my burnpot fills pretty full before I get ignition too.

Actual burnpot is bent or the housing? If it is just the burnpot, they can be replaced. FWIW, my burnpot fills pretty full before I get ignition too.

Good to know, thanks. It is the housing that the burnpot sits in that is bent (has the hole in the front for the air flow and ignitor to face into. I may just replace that part later or have my father in law retrofit a new piece of steel as he is a welder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.