wh-23fs power up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcs0809

Nov 14, 2016
nashua
Just bought this Breckwell. Sn: wh-23fs-8494, and needs a good cleaning. Got it home...very used so i plugged in on our patio to test before moving indoors. Plugged it in and pressed power. Green light came on and i saw the auger motor move to drop pellets. After30 seconds it shut itself off and did not come on itself again. I pressed power and it came on for another 20-30 seconds. Same thing, powers off.

Could it be dirty and not getting air? Also noticed the blower did not initially turn on when power is pressed. Does that come on after a while or should itgoon with power? Thoughts before i move it into my basement?

new to this stove any thoughts is appreciated.

Last edited:
One observation was that during initial power upthe #3 (i think) was blinking right after it shut off. Not sure what that means....

http://www.pelletking.com/Pellet-Stove-Manuals/Breckwell-P23-Pellet-Stove-Manual.pdf
page 24 for meaning of #3 flash code. Exhaust blower should start up at the same time as the auger.

I would suggest you clean it up outside before hauling it in. An air compressor would really help with cleaning out internal stove exhaust paths just disconnect tube to vacuum switch beforehand. I would also pull both blowers off and clean well ... usually need to replace gasket on exhaust (combustion) blower.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted!

Reactions: Mt Bob
http://www.pelletking.com/Pellet-Stove-Manuals/Breckwell-P23-Pellet-Stove-Manual.pdf
page 24 for meaning of #3 flash code. Exhaust blower should start up at the same time as the auger.

I would suggest you clean it up outside before hauling it in. An air compressor would really help with cleaning out internal stove exhaust paths just disconnect tube to vacuum switch beforehand. I would also pull both blowers off and clean well ... usually need to replace gasket on exhaust (combustion) blower.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted!

Thank you. i will clean it out tonight and hopefully that blower will then start. I did not invest much in the stove but hopefully it will not need a new blower and that it is just clogged or air restricted due to so much ash buildup from last year.

Make sure you open up the four ash traps. Not sure of the shape of the internal pathways but some use a brush (dryer lint brush or bottle brush depending) to remove stubborn ash. If maintenance was not high point for the previous owner, you may run into creosote build up.

When servicing the blowers, make sure you blow out windings to chase dust bunnies away as they are motor killers. Not sure if they have oiling ports; if they do, use 3-in-1 electric motor oil.
PS Get a new exhaust gasket so you can start off fresh!

You might want to clean up the auger drop tube and auger if there is any rust. Check the bearings and a spray of extreme graphite in the tube and at the bearing will help reduce friction.

PS Again! Think about new door/ash pan/hopper gaskets as appropriate for your model.

Keep us posted!

Make sure you open up the four ash traps. Not sure of the shape of the internal pathways but some use a brush (dryer lint brush or bottle brush depending) to remove stubborn ash. If maintenance was not high point for the previous owner, you may run into creosote build up.

When servicing the blowers, make sure you blow out windings to chase dust bunnies away as they are motor killers. Not sure if they have oiling ports; if they do, use 3-in-1 electric motor oil.

You might want to clean up the auger drop tube and auger if there is any rust. Check the bearings and a spray of extreme graphite in the tube and at the bearing will help reduce friction.

PS Again! Think about new door/ash pan/hopper gaskets as appropriate for your model.

Keep us posted!

Thanks i will do that tonight. Could excessive ash cause the blower to not turn on when the power button is pushed? If not, im hoping im not looking at a bigger issue but time will tell. Let's get her cleaned first as it is very dirty.

Keep us posted!

Cleaned it all out and the blower motor did start but after 20 seconds it all shuts off with a blinking 2 light on board. thoughts?

Blower is working I stand corrected haha.

I'm out of pellets and just trying to see if stove will stay on but it shuts off. either safety because it is empty or something is still wrong. making progress.

One observation was that during initial power upthe #3 (i think) was blinking right after it shut off. Not sure what that means....

correction, it is #2 blinking not #3. Hopper is out of pellets and there are a little bit on the auger but not sure that would cause it to not stay running as i dont think there is a sensor in the hopper to tell if its empty.

Sorry for so many updates everyone. I'm a dummy! Cleaned the stove and was getting the #2 flash. Put the plate inside the firebox to close up the opening below the pellet firebox grate and turned the stove on and it worked just fine. everything is working now!

Glad you got it ... it's always the little things that trip you up:) I've reassembled my Elena with majolica sides and forgot to reconnect the tube to the vacuum switch. The microswitch for my hopper sometimes moves out of alignment and shuts it down. Little stuff that grinds you to a halt...

So the cleaning got the blower working? Or was it working but pathways clogged so it interferred with vacuum?

Keep us posted and we like pics of install, first burn or whatever!

Glad you got it ... it's always the little things that trip you up:) I've reassembled my Elena with majolica sides and forgot to reconnect the tube to the vacuum switch. The microswitch for my hopper sometimes moves out of alignment and shuts it down. Little stuff that grinds you to a halt...

So the cleaning got the blower working? Or was it working but pathways clogged so it interferred with vacuum?

Keep us posted and we like pics of install, first burn or whatever!

Blower must have been really dirty. took it apart and vacuumed a lot of thick dust bunnies from it. put back together and started right up.

Will hook it up to piping this weekend and post final pics of it running.

Not bad seeing I bought this for $150 because the owner did not know if it ran in the house they just bought :).

Reactions: Lake Girl
Blower must have been really dirty. took it apart and vacuumed a lot of thick dust bunnies from it. put back together and started right up.

Will hook it up to piping this weekend and post final pics of it running.

Not bad seeing I bought this for $150 because the owner did not know if it ran in the house they just bought :).

Attachments

• 20161116_171849.jpg
    20161116_171849.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.