1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve found in your wood when split?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Detector$, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detector$

Detector$ Member

Loc:
    NC
    Split a lot of oak (fresh and standing dead) and have seen some strange critters in the wood.
    Any really weird stuff out there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    giant white larvae grubs of some kind i n some downed cherry i cut last year
  3. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    found a railroad spike once thinking it was used as a ladder to a tree stand.
    It was a close call as it was only about an inch from the end.
  4. Detector$

Detector$ Member

Loc:
    NC
    WOW that would have done a number on your chain.....
    I've got some really stinky red oak that fell in a windstorm a year ago. It has these huge yellow alien larvae things. I'm sure some beetle larvae of some sort. The wood smells like a cat urine.. I wonder if that's why?
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    not bugs, but i always know when i've got to some shot, because the sparks start flying when i'm cutting it.
  6. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Yes Sir, same here in a semi rotten Red Oak. Picked up a little over a dozen of them.

FYI they don't float.....sink straight to the bottom of the lake.[​IMG]
  7. Spoon

Spoon Member

Loc:
    Southwest Missouri
    Yesterday I was splitting some walnut for my fil. The bark shot off and inside was three lizards. The next one had a Prairie Ring-Necked Snake. It was a chilly 50 degs and he was coiled up about he size of my palm. He did not hardly move. The lizards warmed up a little in my hand and they went crazy.
  8. ROBERT F

ROBERT F Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CENTRAL COLORADO
    A old screwdriver, mostly rotted away, and a lot of lead shot from someone probably hanging a target on a tree. other than that basic bugs like carpenter ants and wood wasps. And rocks, but those are not all that strange if you think about it.
  9. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    a lorax
  10. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    In many trees I find the big white grubs. Pretty common here. Also, nails, wires, a rock, an ax head, and a bullet.
  11. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    the only interesting stuff i have found is bugs. we were splitting some big cherry last year and this particular log the ends looked solid, but was hollow inside, housing about a million ants. that day i happened to be wearing pants that had holes in the knees. guess where the ants went...
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Found a plow point once! Evidently someone had laid it in a crotch of a tree when the tree was young. Amazing what these trees can and will do.
  13. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Found a trap grown into a maple crotch once. Figured a coon got caught by the toe and dragged dragged it up there.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    dog chain
  15. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Back when I was about 20 yrs old I worked for an outfit up in Northern Vancouver island where we would go into the bush and cut cedar shake blocks from old growth cedar trees. The cedar tree were mostly ones that had fallen over and were often covered with moss and branches, which had to be cleared away first, and often portions of the tree were rotten from lying on the ground for years, but there was still enough good wood to be worth digging into. I'm talking trees that were often 6-8 ft in diameter and cedar that doesn't easily rot even when sitting on the ground getting rained on day after day for years.
    Anyway, when we would get into these trees we would often find nests of hundreds of salamanders that would come swarming out as we cut the wood open, it was quite a sight.
    We use to pull 5-10 cord out of trees that were way off the road and almost hidden by undergrowth.. Because the trees were often so far off the road the only economical way to get the blocks down to the road so you could load them in the truck was by helicopter.
  16. Billster

Billster New Member

Nails & barbed wire.
  17. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    Found a spike in a beechtree that was blown down in a wind storm at my father-in-laws. The boys had put in some wood steps YEARS ago. I cut it in half-------------------long ways. Thew the chain away. surprizing how fast it cut thru but it stopped cutting right after. it was a worn chain but wasn't anything left to file.
    leaddog
  18. 3fordasho

3fordasho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Central Minnesota
    Last summer I had just felled and was bucking up a dead elm. Got to a crotch where the main trunk branched into two (hollow spot)
    and cut into a bats nest. Didn't cut into any but they did leave in a hurry.
  19. nocdpc

nocdpc New Member

Loc:
    Northeast CT
    Close friend from work had some tree work done and the crew accidently sawed through a scared family of racoons... It was pretty messy from what I hear. YUCK!
  20. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Snake.
  21. NHFarmer

NHFarmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    I once dropped a hickory tree, as it fell a squirrel shot out of the butt. Come to find out the tree was hollow.
  22. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Yup, coon in a hollow tree. My friend who was felling it was looking at his legs trying to figure out where the blood was coming from.
  23. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Most of the lizards & such scatter when I pick the wood up. I've found a few drywall screws. Also found a splitting wedge, but it was left in from someone else's attempt to split a nasty piece of pine (I did split that one, but I have a few pieces from that batch waitin' for the next time I rent a splitter).

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  24. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Spikes and nails.

Matt
  25. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY