1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve found in your wood when split?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Detector$, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Some antique hand cut nails.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Found a family of mice in a hollow part of the tree this fall . I scared them and they scared me :snake:
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Split pine and had a salamander or newt or something in there. He was in a hole made by a big grub of some sort that was about full of water.

Have had snakes in the pile, mice, a cat living under it, and pulled a screw in eye bolt and ring out of my woodstove recently after burning. Have had wires through trees, etc.
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I found a bullet when I was splitting over the weekend. It's not even mushroomed and you can see the rifle marks from the barrel on the bullet. It almost looks like someone placed it next to the tree and it grew around it since it's not damaged. I'll snap a picture when I get a minute.
  5. Rory

Rory Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    I had a beech tree that was hollow in the center in a pile all summer. I'm not sure when they got in there, but the center was packed with slim pine cones. Somebody lost their stash.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.