What a difference a properly placed baffle makes!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
The R14 insert the other night was not heating things up like it was before. Looked inside window during a burn and noticed that the back part of the baffle had dropped down under the back air channel and was resting on the brick retainer clips. Let it cool down over night and reset the baffle and holy crap.....what a difference. Quick baffle question: Am i getting the stove too hot when the baffle is a light orange color? This usually occurs when the thermometer (on the face of insert by door) is reading bout 450. Since i don't know what the firebox temp is due to it being a insert is the orange glow pushing it?

fph said:
thanks for the suggestion on the kaowool.
I have lots of 2" bat of ceramic fibre blanket. I can try this as a substitute for kaowool

keep the blanket to 1" thick. go to a local steel dealer and get a chunk of 3/16 plate cut to the size of your existing plate. Usually alot cheaper than going to dealer. Ran 3/16 sp in my Regency's for the last 15 years, works just fine. Also move your thermometer to the top of your stove. Sounds like you might be over firing your stove if the baffle is glowing, thats whats causing the extreme warp on it. I usually get 3+ years out of my baffles burning 24-7

Status
Not open for further replies.