What a mess! Help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Margo

Sep 12, 2008
Northeastern MA
I have an Englander 25pdvc that was installed by a friend that was my first mistake. When he installed it I was a total newby and figured he knew what he was doing after reading this forum I now know better. So anyway my Ps is in the center of my living room using the fireplace for venting. Its been installed 2 years. The convection fan has always been noisy but has gotten louder and didn't seem to blow as much as it used to. I decided to take it apart for a cleaning and maybe a replacement. Lets just say we are lucky to be alive now I want to redo the whole thing right. Its to cold to get on the roof so I just want to make it safer to get through the winter. I'm going to seal the pipe joints with high temp silicon 1st question can I use make a gasket? I also need to install a temp oak(I leave a window open) if I can. 2nd question can I buy a piece of 2 inch pipe and run it part way up the chimney but below the top of the exhaust pipe will that be ok or will it suck in smoke? Like I said this summer I'm going to redo the whole thing with flex pipe a cap and an oak. I just need to get through the winter and anything has to be an improvement from what Ive learned from this forum.

Margo- I understand your frustrations. Your best bet is to contact Englands Stove Works yourself and discuss all of this with them.(800) 245-6489
I know your friend meant well....just a tough situation. Good luck.

Hi temp silicone is fine for the pipe joints. Running a temp OAK up the chimney probably won't pull much, if any, exhaust down....the hot exhaust will try to go up anyway.

As for your convection blower, have the bearings ever been oiled?

Also, remove the impingement plate, bang on the back wall with a mallet or small hammer.....a lot of crud (caked ash) will fall down toward the bottom. While you had it outside, you should have done the leaf blower trick on it....so easy w/ the stove outdoors.

I'm going to do that before I reinstall the fan.....

You know where the oil ports are?
blower lube ports.jpgConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg

Lol I did do the leaf blowers trick. I also had the impingement plate out. We were keeping the inside really clean its vacumed from top to bottom weekly. Paying extra attention to the burnpot area.

20w non-detergent oil.....regular red can "3 in 1" oil will do in a pinch. If you get to the hardware store, try looking for 3 in 1 oil in the Blue can....that's made just for electric motor bearings.

Put 3-4 drops down each oil port.

Status
Not open for further replies.