what are your average temps in the room were your stove is located?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guy's hope everybody is having a good thanksgiving . I fired up the stove tonight and was wondering what you guys have for average temps in the area were your stove is , It is about 81 degrees in my den room and about 75 degrees in the rest of the house. I love being this warm and my heat pump could not do what this wood stove is doing without costing me some serious cash, It has been alot of work this year getting my stove and installing it and the chimmey to, cutting and stacking wood all summer, but having my family over this evening for thanksgiving dinner and everybody enjoying the warmth of the stove and my little boy staring at the fire makes it worth all my hard labor.

We're fortunate to have an open floorplan. With a convective stove we stay pretty even tempered throughout the house. Living room where the stove is rarely gets above 74.

Well, it's not been that cold yet and it's only been in about a month...
but so far about 70-73 °F (18x30 room) and 70 °F in the adjoining dining room that has a wide doorway (~16x20).
(I like the new symbols).

We don't like temps over 70, too warm especially in winter clothes. If the family room where the stove is, downstairs, middle of the house, open stairs, is 70-72 the rest of the house is cozy (back master bedroom 65-68). When temps are single digits or below this always seems like nothing short of a miracle to me, that a wood stove can make a +70 degree heat difference.

It's 30 outside right now, the coldest night yet this year and its over 80 degrees in my living room. I dont even have the stove cranked up high. Sweet.......

When it gets close to 80 °F in the kitchen(stove room)I turn on the fans and then the rest of the house gets a comfortable 70's. Right now its 31 °F outside with a forecast of rain all day turning to 3-7" of snow overnight.

low 80s in the stove room

yesterday it got to 78 but was humid! 45%.... the upstairs hallway got to 74 but the back room never made it past 68.5... it wasnt that cold and i had 3 fans running full blast!!!! the kicker...... i couldnt get the upstairs as warm as down so i gave up and opened the windows

This depends on a few things for me, but often I can see temp's spike to 80-85 on the thermostat directly across the room from my wood stove. I'd say actual room temperature average where the Jotul sits is probably around 75 to 78.......been known to throw open a window from time to time if I "overshoot" it a bit, haha.

When it get's colder, like below 32 or so, it's easier to manage. These days we've been having where it goes up to 50, then falls into the 30's overnight, sometimes I get 'er up a little warmer than we like :)

I can get it to the 80's, but I run the fans. In the cold weather its 70-75, in the warm temps it can get past 80.

Low 80's in the stove room - ceilings in there are a bit lower than the rest of the house though. My preference is to have it in the 70's, otherwise I get lazy and tend to become one with the couch...

We're usually about 75 degrees F in the stove room, which is in the front of the house. The adjoining rooms are about 68 to 70 degrees, and the rooms off the adjoining rooms about 65 degrees. This is just fine with us. We can maintain this with winter temperatures down to about 10 degrees as long as we are not trying to warm up a cold house with the wood stove.

It's been so warm... probably mid 80's. It looks like we'll be cold next week (14 at night) so the temps will be down in the 70's.

Matt

The house stays around 70o . I cant really lite the stove until it gets down to around 40o out side .
My stove is in a large room open to the rest of the house.
My foyer is 25' high and if the bed room doors are closed it can get around 100o at the top of the stairs .

70-75 in stove room (living room). I can get it to 80 but that is way too warm for me. Low 70s is pretty comfortable. I use a fan. The rest of the house (small cape) is a little cooler but warm enough.

Well I ran my stove from about 2 pm til bedtime and the room was at 73 and the house was at 68 or so. One room that had the door closed so the that did not hit that room was 59 degrees yesterday if no wood stove and if I had not had the heat on it would have been 59 degrees in house. the heat did not come on in the house all day, it was very comfortable. It is the first time I had burned for such a long time, normally I come home and make the fire and then damp it down at night. Have not yet had hot embers in the morning but will learn to do that. I guess to do that I would get the fire roaring to 600 degrees or so, throw on a couple of big logs and damper shut and the "Themostat" on the VC to almost closed so it will burn all night slowly. Sound right? Want to try that tonight, want to learn to do this before the winter sets in for sure. I LOVE the heat of wood.
Reminder- Check the steamer or kettle if you use one, yesterday I filled it and forgot about it til I smelled it burning, it empties quite quickly and in my case, the steam seems to go backward up the chimney so will have to get a humidifier I guess :( or maybe once the blocking plate is put in maybe not but I think it will just accumlate on the blocking plate. It seems to follow the heat up the chimney.
I am so happy with this stove that is 23 years old but was only used for 5 years or so then they got a bigger one for a bigger house and this sat in the garage until I picked it up at their garage out in western MA. they are like my second parents so I call them alot lately to say how it is working and how happy I am with it. I am sure it is not going to save me any money this year given how much it cost to put in and how much wood costs but I so enjoy it, it pays for itself in enjoyment and yesterday the house did not come on at all so that is a savings for sure.

Between 70-75 depending on outside temps. Colder days it stays around 75*. (Rest of house is around 65* - do not have an open floor plan and prefer bedrooms on the cooler side.)

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
Hey guy's hope everybody is having a good thanksgiving . I fired up the stove tonight and was wondering what you guys have for average temps in the area were your stove is , It is about 81 degrees in my den room and about 75 degrees in the rest of the house. I love being this warm and my heat pump could not do what this wood stove is doing without costing me some serious cash, It has been alot of work this year getting my stove and installing it and the chimmey to, cutting and stacking wood all summer, but having my family over this evening for thanksgiving dinner and everybody enjoying the warmth of the stove and my little boy staring at the fire makes it worth all my hard labor.

You are right about these small things making all that labor worth it. If this is your first year burning, the best is yet to come!

The stove room usually around 80 and the lowest in the house is probably 75 most times and maybe a little lower during the extreme cold. I usually gauge the temperature by the amount of clothing left on female bodies. Too much clothing means the stove needs more wood.

Like most say in the low 80's with the outside temps in the 40's. Got a huniderfier and a fan going in the stove room. When the outside temps get down into the 20's and below we are maintaing 70-75 in the room and 70+/- in the rest of the house.

Usually about 80, I have been trying to control it better this year by burning small fires, but when I load it up before bed watch out, I will wake up a couple hours later to check things and it is 90. Keeping the stove room about 80 keeps the rest of the house about 74.

The stove is in the middle of the living space that we keep at 75. This leaves the rest of the house between 70 and 75.

When burning before bed its low 80 in the stove room. Mid 70s in adjoining rooms. High 60's in the bedrooms upstairs. By morning the bedrooms are still the same temp, but the downstairs falls to high 60s. Start her up in the morning and we're at 80 in about an hour.

Backwoods Savage said:
RIDGERUNNER30 said:

You are right about these small things making all that labor worth it. If this is your first year burning, the best is yet to come!

The stove room usually around 80 and the lowest in the house is probably 75 most times and maybe a little lower during the extreme cold. I usually gauge the temperature by the amount of clothing left on female bodies. Too much clothing means the stove needs more wood.

You heathen, you ;-)

My room with the insert gets to the low 80s during a good burn. That room adjoins the rest of the house via archways, which are a foot or more lower than the ceiling in the fireplace/insert room. Alot of heat was getting trapped high in the stove room even when I ran the ceiling fan in the stove room. To remedy, I put a box fan above an armoire, blowing the heat into the next room, which is below the stairs leading upstairs. HUGE difference. Before, the stove room was super hot and the rest of the house too cool, now the upstairs is in the mid/low 60s when the stove room is 80. This all changes though when a cold snap comes, but so will my burn habits.

I'm heating a small open plan house from the basement and it often gets in the high 80s to have the rest of the house at 72.

Status
Not open for further replies.