What are your opinions about a chimney near roof's ridgeline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: 7acres
Yes. We're so enamoured by the build quality of old houses, primarily because many of the poorly built ones are no longer with us.

Yesterday I cut the square hole through the ceiling for the ceiling support box. I took the plum bob up in the attic to see where the hole in the roof is going to have to be. It is centered 18" from the nearest ridge beam. Closer than I was estimating. But I do believe that will work just fine. I did the math and it looks like my chimney will be straight with no elbows and ~20' in length.

Worked with the local fireplace store to purchase all the chimney pipe & components. DuraPlus double wall all the way up. Parts alone came out to around $1100. Based on other research on here I was thinking the cost would be more in the $800 neighborhood. Maybe I paid what I did because I'm not a pro. I'm enjoying the learning experience. I've never headed off a ceiling joist before. Now I know how thanks to the advice of many on this thread!

FP store is gonna more expensive than Selkirk Supervent Class A (BigBox stores - eg: Lowes). But you have knowledgeable (hopefully) dealer to answer questions.

My experience is that the prices for things like this are higher here in the South East than in New England and the Pacific North West. I think it is because so few people install chimneys, it is really even more of a niche market here than other places.

Glad you are learning and enjoying yourself. It is rewarding to do the job and know what went into it (and that it was done right).

How many houses use a ridge beam nowadays anyway? Most new roofs are simply trusses and any cross member is no more than bracing, not structural beam work. I think the main issue with trussed roofs is the flashing and venting work-around that'll need to happen if a chimney juts through the ridge.

I don't understand the supposed problem with running a chimney through the ridgeline. The fireplace pictured at left runs the chimney right through the ridgeline. Doing it this way did not weaken the structure at all.
As someone else said it makes the flashing easier. The chimney is 20 years old and knock on wood no water leaks.

Reactions: jzader
Yesterday I cut the square hole through the ceiling for the ceiling support box. I took the plum bob up in the attic to see where the hole in the roof is going to have to be. It is centered 18" from the nearest ridge beam. Closer than I was estimating. But I do believe that will work just fine. I did the math and it looks like my chimney will be straight with no elbows and ~20' in length.

Worked with the local fireplace store to purchase all the chimney pipe & components. DuraPlus double wall all the way up. Parts alone came out to around $1100. Based on other research on here I was thinking the cost would be more in the $800 neighborhood. Maybe I paid what I did because I'm not a pro. I'm enjoying the learning experience. I've never headed off a ceiling joist before. Now I know how thanks to the advice of many on this thread!

So is this a second stove being added or are you moving your original stove? I remember when you installed your first one, glass hearth pad and all. I was a fan of that glass hearth pad. Very sharp

So is this a second stove being added or are you moving your original stove? I remember when you installed your first one, glass hearth pad and all. I was a fan of that glass hearth pad. Very sharp

This is my original post on the topic. Seems it has been resurrected by some new posts lately. I'm still rocking the same stove and glass pad. Still using the original stove pipe straight up through the roof about 4' from the actual peak of the roof. No issues!

Reactions: jzader
Status
Not open for further replies.