what are your temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be a wide range of temps being run..... So just curiouse what temps do you run up to (on a full load before cutting back) and where are you measureing? I have been trying to run about 400 on cooktop which gives me about 250 on stack.... stove tends to do whatever it wants that way. last 2 days try to get stack to 400 then cut back tends to work better... cooktop is about 550 or so from a low start. I also notice that primary air open I get lower top and higher stack temps...not sure why?

With my Oslo after loading before damping it down......

Stove top corner temp between 600-650 for the big splits for night time loads. And about 450-550 for smaller splits for burning during the day. And to answer your question....Wide open = lots of wasted heat up your stack and no secondary combustion. So cutting back after about 5-15 minutes (depending on the load) usually charrs the wood really good and gets the gases going needed to sustain a good secondary.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.