what brand of stove did start with and how long ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
--------BIG Taiwan cast iron box stove ('73) Installed in the cellar out of desparation shortly after we bought our first & only house (remember when people actually lived in one place for more than 3-5 yrs?) only to discover that when it got cold-- the oilman pulled in every 7-10days to fill our 275 gal tank & the pipes still froze in the walls!!

-------Woodrat

We were poor newlyweds with a new mortgage and oil heat in the early 70's. Our first winter in the house nearly froze us to death and put us bankrupt, so the next year hubby built us a ceramic lined brick chimney, bricked up a wall and put together a hearth, and went to a local auction and bought a used flat top cast iron stove that just says 'Boss' on it. The stove is still blazing away in that house, as well as the original oil furnace, which has been having an easy life.

I grew up with a heatalator fireplace. Beautiful fires and did a great job of heating the first floor but did an equally good job of sucking all of the heat out of the upstairs (plus the thermostat was downstairs).

Don't remember the brand of my first stove but it was in my house in the Colorado mountains in 1988.

Status
Not open for further replies.