What brand to choose some advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey beaver

Oct 25, 2008
ohio
We are having trouble deciding what to choose in a stove does anyone have a buck 74, or 81,or 85 what do you think and is the blower loud! also what about a napeolean 1900, we have a harmon tl300 we are returning! thanks ahead of time!

We have a Harmon tl300 and would like to return it also. Most tempermental wood stove we have owned. Have been burning wood since 1966 and have used a number of different brands. Purchased a Blaze King Princess and I am amazed at the length of burn and even heat output of this stove. Easly burns all night and with the thermostat the tempature is within 5 degrees every morning. Used the Harman tl300 for 2-3 months. Dont know what i am going to do with it. Paid $2400.

Hi SmokyBeaver......You had talked about this on another thread today and here was my response:

Smokey Beaver: I have a Buck 81 also and we just love it. Very good quality. I posted to another thread earlier today about it and you can click on my link and read what I had to say about it so I can avoid typing pretty much the same thing all over again. lol
Click here ---> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28159/

Oh and I almost forgot to say that I noticed you were also in Ohio somewhere. We searched around a lot before we bought ours and found the best buy down in the Hockinghills area in the town of Logan at Kings Lumber. If you want to message me privately I will be happy to give you a name and some info that might help you out a bit.

Standsby I know the tl300 installed for us was 6k, but stove is not what expected, very dissapointed. we are lucky though coz our dealer will take back if we get another stove they carry, so we are limited to a buck or napeolean, or a pacfic , we had a small buck before and it worked fine but we built a bigger house so we need a bigger stove now, so thats why we are asking for advice on which one. also did you get yours from a dealer? if not try to sell out right i hope you can get your money back coz they are very high dollar stoves, with tax we paid 2,600 for just stove no blower either. well good luck in selling yours and good luck with your new stove. thanks for your reponse.

Sorry to hear you folks are unhappy with your Harmans - it seems the all the downdraft stoves (VC and Lopi, too) get very mixed results. Even for those of us with good results, there is a lot of trial and error involved.
I don't have firsthand experience with any of the stoves you mentioned, but I spent a lot of time researching and feel that Pacific Energy makes a great product, at least from all I've heard and read. (But I did end up with a Harman, for what it's worth.)
Did you check the Stove Ratings section of this site? I found it time-consuming but very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.