What can I do with this setup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdlemaster

Sep 2, 2016
Northern Michigan
Hello all, I just joined the forum after much reading on here. Yesterday I pulled my old heatilator unit out of the wall and now I am not sure what kind of options I have. I do not have a masonry chimney. It is wood construction chaise that is cedar sided and goes up about 24 feet. I do have double wall stainless chimney liner already in place which I was told is good to go for a wood stove insert. My ultimate goal is put in a Lopi Republic 1250i insert or a Lopi small flush wood insert. One guy told me I could frame in my setup with cement board and put the insert in there no problem. Someone else told me I should have left the heatilator in there and just installed the wood stove insert into that. I need some good advice please. Can I do a wood stove insert without spending an insane amount of money?
20160902_093517.jpg 20160902_093546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
electric insert as it sits. Perhaps a Direct Vent Fireplace small enough to fit within the opening, using a vent small enough to pass through the existing prefab chimney. Likely also need to ensure that the unit would be approved with flexible DV pipe as well. You'd likely never get anything capable of wood burning in that as it sits...

Thanks for the reply. So what would have to be done to get it capable of burning wood? Can I put up cement board on the bottom, top and sides so there is no combustible material exposed? My ultimate goal is to burn wood but I would settle for a pellet insert if I have to. I just need to know what is the building code required for using either of those options.

You cannot use an insert! There is no fireplace to "insert" an insert into. That chimney is not suitable for a woodstove either. It's specifically for the fireplace you removed, or others just like it. Your only options are to do another zero clearance fireplace, gas or wood. You could reframe and do a high efficiency wood burning fireplace, but it will also need class A chimney pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the Lopi Revere "zero clearance" approved?
Yes but that only means they allow you to put their insert into an existing zero clearance fireplace. Although there are very few fireplaces that allow that so in most cases it is not up to code to do that at all. The way it sits you need to either get a new zeroclearance unit preferably a high efficiency one that will actually produce some heat and you will need a new chimney to go with that. Or open everything up build an alcove to put a freestanding stove in and run a new chimney for it.

And yes that osburn (while I personally dont know anything about it) is the type of unit that you should be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.