What capabilities do children really have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
The wife and I were just reminiscing about my dad (Art) and how much he loved my wife and my daughter Jenny ( his Peaches).
No more than five minutes later, my daughter calls and says my granddaughter (Carly age 2) is talking on a phone
she fashioned from some Playdo. Carly knows me as Papa but tells her mom she's talking to grandpa. "Grandpa? Grandpa who?"
Carly says, "Grandpa Art." Cool stuff.
Kenny

Awesomely cool :)

I remember when the Dixette called my step father Poppa for the first time. I asked where she got that from. She said "you called your Poppa that". She was 2. My Poppa died when she was 4 months old, and she was 4 when this happened.

EatenByLimestone said:
I think they can do a lot more than we give them credit for.

Matt

We have a very clear "Winner" here.

I agree whole heartedly.

My kids are destined to be politicians. :sick:.
The do what they are not supposed to.
They do a good job covering it up.
They deny any wrongdoing.
They are always asking for money.
They always put the blame on each other.

fishingpol said:
My kids are destined to be politicians. :sick:.
The do what they are not supposed to.
They do a good job covering it up.
They deny any wrongdoing.
They are always asking for money.
They always put the blame on each other.

They sound like perfect politicians.

I hope they don't run against each other... I won't know who to vote for.

Our 2 year old grand daughter just flew to Miami with us to meet some of her favorite people - her great-grandparents.

She has them sorted out perfectly - I'm pop pop and he is pop pop jay (his name is jay). Same with nanny.

She knows 100% what is going on - flying on the jet, the elevator and all this scary new stuff.

Of course, I am biased but she did the whole week trip without any crying or screaming. Now THAT'S a rarity for a two year old. Then again, having 4-5 fawning family members coddling her full time seems to have a positive effect.

Oh, Kenny, in terms of capabilities - on the way home from the airport in the car, I heard her singing and humming a few songs....

Good Day Sunshine
Yellow Submarine

It was almost perfect! And I've never even heard her listen to them - she must have done it with her daddy a week or two ago. They have minds like a sponge - that after a week or more to be able to hum and sing the song perfectly....wow!

Sometimes I think it's because they are less afraid to fail. As adults we won't, for instance, speak a foreign language (or do most anything) unless we think we know it a bit. But kids just do it, and then use the instant feedback to improve. Cool stuff.

I see so many "kids" today that do nothing but exercise their thumbs and "zone out" to what's around them via ear phones. It's really sad today that kids are that lazy and so willing to not be "one with their own thoughts" because of this new technology!! I truly don't get it!!

kenny chaos said:
The wife and I were just reminiscing about my dad (Art) and how much he loved my wife and my daughter Jenny ( his Peaches).
No more than five minutes later, my daughter calls and says my granddaughter (Carly age 2) is talking on a phone
she fashioned from some Playdo. Carly knows me as Papa but tells her mom she's talking to grandpa. "Grandpa? Grandpa who?"
Carly says, "Grandpa Art." Cool stuff.
Kenny

My older child talked on one of her phones to Grampa Tom, who died before my wife and I officially even met. I never knew the man.

My father built the house we live in. After he died in 2000, we bought my sister's half and we moved in. Mom died in 89. Our first child was born in 02, the other in 05. As babies they both stared at the same unremarkable spot on the ceiling in the living room. All the time. It was kinda creepy.

now if we could just get um to tend to the stove!

I used to read bedtime stories to my daughter when she was very young...well before she could read. One of our favorite books was "The Big Book of Mr. Small", which was a compilation of childrens' stories written by one Lois Lenski. These were not new...my mother used to read some of these same stories to me when I was very young, so when I found this reprinted collection during my daughter's very early years, I bought it and would read to her from it. One of our favorite stories from the book was "The Little Auto". I've no idea how many times I read that story to her, showing her every illustration on every page as I read. I remember like it was yesterday one night when she said she was going to read the story to me. She wasn't even pre-school age yet, and couldn't really read a word. We paged slowly through the story, and she recited word for word the exact text of the whole story of "The Little Auto", pausing for page-turning. She knew every word of narrative that went with every illustration. I was amazed. I guess I still am. Rick

fossil said:
I used to read bedtime stories to my daughter when she was very young...well before she could read. One of our favorite books was "The Big Book of Mr. Small", which was a compilation of childrens' stories written by one Lois Lenski. These were not new...my mother used to read some of these same stories to me when I was very young, so when I found this reprinted collection during my daughter's very early years, I bought it and would read to her from it. One of our favorite stories from the book was "The Little Auto". I've no idea how many times I read that story to her, showing her every illustration on every page as I read. I remember like it was yesterday one night when she said she was going to read the story to me. She wasn't even pre-school age yet, and couldn't really read a word. We paged slowly through the story, and she recited word for word the exact text of the whole story of "The Little Auto", pausing for page-turning. She knew every word of narrative that went with every illustration. I was amazed. I guess I still am. Rick

:) Love it.

My 3 yr old has 5-6 books she can recite from memory. I forget my cell phone number.

Some people swear that THEIR dog can tell the difference between an honest vacuum cleaner salesman and a politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.