What causes smoke dragons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepulvd

Dec 27, 2014
Oak harbor, wa
I been barely burning wood for a little over a year and i always see in this forum about crazy amont of smoke coming out of chimney is no good. What causes all the smoke. I am using a fisher insert which is from the 80's but i barely get any smoke. Just trying to learn more

Wet or poorly seasoned wood, poor operator control (smoldering a fire), inefficient stove design, and/or a weak drafting flue system all can contribute.

20% or less is good.

You must be burning it pretty hot if you are getting no smoke in that insert, I am quite sure you have smoke on the tail end of the burn unless you are constantly stoking the fire. You have what we consider a smoke dragon, it does not reburn the smoke that is coming off the wood, sending a lot of energy up the flue.

The cause of smoke is as BG stated above. The actual term "smoke dragon" usually refers to a stove built before the use of reburn technology.

If I burn the 602 hot I can get a pretty clean burn, but it's not smoke-free even though it has a baffle and a simple secondary air supply. EPA phase 2 stoves are much cleaner burning.

If I burn the 602 hot I can get a pretty clean burn, but it's not smoke-free even though it has a baffle and a simple secondary air supply. EPA phase 2 stoves are much cleaner burning.
Do you have a 602 cb?

Status
Not open for further replies.