What causes this temperature spike

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjl147

Sep 30, 2016
Vermont
Have an 80s Woodstock Palladian. Got it nice into the burn zone tonight and added a big log to the hot bed of coals. Shut her down for the night as per normal.

A few minutes later I notice the temp (indicator is on the pipe) went up quite a bit, which has never happened before. It then quickly went into overfire.

I took out the large log (glad I had welders gloves handy) and tossed it into a snow bank. Looked up and chimney had no flame or unusual smoke, so no obvious sign of a chimney fire. Left hot coals in and stove has settled.

any ideas on what happened? I actually just took the pipe s apart this morning, and felt around where the pipe meets the chimney and did not notice creosote issues. Pipe and stove were put together and a fire burned all day. Creosote in pipe was normal, at least bywhat I usually see.

but I can only guess I had a fire somewhere in the pipe or chimney?

Was the bypass closed shortly after putting in the fresh wood? Just a guess, the cat was overwhelmed with a big blast of unburnt wood smoke due to the large log on hot coals and the wood gases ignited (secondary combustion) in the stovepipe?

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Thanks for the response. That makes some sense.
I am also wondering if there was another factor. Stove had not been used until the evening, and it was around 0 degrees last night. Stove vents into a masonry chimney that is 8x12 inches (I know, huge).
Even though I only burn seasoned hard wood could a sudden plug of creosote develop? Takes a while to get that huge chimney warm.

I will take it apart again to investigate. Good news is temp did not get that crazy hot and I caught it in time.