what chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
whats the best chain for a stihl ms290 with an 18 inch bar...............preferably oregon brand...i get these chains pretty cheap...

What pitch? (Depending on your region, the MS290 will come standard with .325 or 3/8 pitch bar and powerhead sprocket)
Do you want chisel or semi-chisel cutter shape?

I prefer to do most of my cutting with chisel chain, so for Oregon that means:

.325 = 20LP/LPX

3/8 (.375) = LGX

hope u all dont get aggrevated with me..but not sure what pitch ..get the saw tuesday....and when i do get it..how do i tell what pitch..............and whats the different between chisel and semi chisel

Not a problem.

When purchasing a chain, you need to know the pitch, gauge and number of drive links (DL), all of which should be stamped on the bar. As an extra check, the pitch also should be stamped somewhere on the powerhead's drive sprocket.

Full chisel is great for cutting clean wood. Semi-chisel is a little slower in the cut but will let you cut a little longer before you need to sharpen it.

For Stihl chain, popular chisel chain is RSC and semi-chisel chain is RMC.

ok thanks.....this will help alot when i do get the saw

How cheap is cheap? You can get Stihl chain off of e-bay for around $15. That is what I ended up paying for my MS261 and MS660. The MS261 came with RMC chain and I ordered the RSC chain. It does make a difference.

The move to a Stihl chain from the Sears/Oregon chain that came with my dad's Craftsman was a pretty positive move. Most people will tell you that Stihl makes the best chain out there. So, if you aren't talking about a ton of dollars in difference between Stihl and Oregon, I would go with Stihl. I just finished cutting about 5 cords with the MS261 and the RSC chain and it is still cutting really well.

If you are buying your saw from a dealer, the dealer should give you the packaging from the bar and the chain. That is what my dealer did. That gave me the pitch, gauge, and drive links and I was able to take that information and order new chains on e-bay.

I get Oregon 18 inch chains for my 025 for 11.99. At a local store here

fabsroman said:
I just finished cutting about 5 cords with the MS261 and the RSC chain and it is still cutting really well.

Fabsroman, does that mean you cut five cords without ever sharpening the chain? That's pretty amazing. What were you cutting?

Kenster said:
fabsroman said:
I just finished cutting about 5 cords with the MS261 and the RSC chain and it is still cutting really well.

Fabsroman, does that mean you cut five cords without ever sharpening the chain? That's pretty amazing. What were you cutting?

Yep. I have yet to sharpen the chain. I changed the chain at some point, but the last 4 to 5 cords have been with this RSC chain and no sharpening at all. Let me try to recall what I have cut. Poplar, 2 oaks, 2 gum trees, 2 to 3 locus, a little limbing of a pine tree in the backyard, and that is about all I can remember. The bar has actually started to show some wear on it and I am only on my second chain. The RMC chain would have been good for a while longer if I hadn't hit the dirt twice with it. I cut 2 cords with that chain without ever sharpening it right before I hit the dirt. Could have gotten a good amount more use out of it before I hit the dirt, but after hitting the dirt it was only cutting about half as good. I could have continued using it, but since I had the other chains available I changed it out.

steeltowninwv said:
I get Oregon 18 inch chains for my 025 for 11.99. At a local store here

Yeah, I think that might be the break even point for me if I analyzed it from a length of life aspect. Thing is, I don't mind paying a little more for better performance, so I would probably spend the extra $3 for the Stihl chain. Not having to spend time sharpening it or cutting with a dull chain would be worth it to me. I have so many things on my list of things to do, that any time I can save is worth it to me.

You should price your equivalent of Stihl chain on e-bay and see if the difference is more or less than $3. My local Stihl dealers want $33 for the same chain I can get on e-bay for $15.

I dont own a Stihl saw but I still use their chain, it stays sharp way longer than the Oregon chain from my experience.
It costs a little more but I think its worth it. I have a buddy that works a dealer who gets 18" RSC chain for 13$. So if you can get it off ebay for 15$ id say thats a great price.

mikes67 said:
I dont own a Stihl saw but I still use their chain, it stays sharp way longer than the Oregon chain from my experience.
It costs a little more but I think its worth it. I have a buddy that works a dealer who gets 18" RSC chain for 13$. So if you can get it off ebay for 15$ id say thats a great price.

This is the guy I bought my Stihl chain from. The 18" 26 RSC for the MS261 is a little more expensive than others. Kind of hard to believe it was more expensive than the 25" thicker chain for the MS660.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Stihl-Fu...531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa196f5b

I bought 25" 33 RSC for the MS660 for $15.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Stihl-Ch...505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa438149

Bought the two 16" Stihl replacement chains for my dad's Craftsman saw for $15 too from this guy and he combines shipping. He screwed up the initial order, but all in all he was a pleasure to deal with. After I had received the wrong chains, he sent me the correct chains without even asking for the other chains back ahead of time and he included a return shipping label in the box with the correct chains. All I had to do was drop the first order in the new box and put the return label on it. Doubt I'll need new chains anytime soon, but if I do I will buy them from him again.

TreePointer said:
What pitch? (Depending on your region, the MS290 will come standard with .325 or 3/8 pitch bar and powerhead sprocket)
Do you want chisel or semi-chisel cutter shape?

I prefer to do most of my cutting with chisel chain, so for Oregon that means:

.325 = 20LP/LPX

3/8 (.375) = LGX

Yep yep!

I only use Stihl chains anymore because they stay sharper so much longer than Oregon for me. I would just go to the nearest dealer and tell them you need a chain and a couple of files for the saw. I'd get some quality 2 cycle oil while your there, bar oil if you need it, a spare plug and you should be set to go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.