What Color is Your Woodstock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
My Wife are debating.

She likes black.

I kind of like blue.

What color is your Woodstock stove?

Thanks!
Bill

she likes black?

:)

I have the black but wish I had the charcoal.

Woodstove-1.gif

Believe it or not, this is called metallic brown.

I don't have a woodstock but have a stone stove with black iron. I don't like black painted stoves anymore. The black is like a black car, it shows every bit of dust and ash you spill on it. The black paint is particularly sensitive to fading into a greyish color and then you try and scrub it off thinking that you are cleaning the dust and you can clean right through the paint.

Pick a color other than black. Black is great when new but quickly goes bad.

Black; suits our traditional propensities nicely (Sorry Highbeam). I've repainted the castings once in nearly 19 yrs. and it's definitely due for a "make over", but if you keep it clean and don't allow dust to accumulate on it over the non-heating mos. you will have no trouble with it. I like the way the traditional black castings frame the soapstone... I also think a high gloss black would look pretty snazzy, too. (But I have a real soft spot for patent leather shoes!)

Mine's invisible. :p Rick

Jeez, and all this time I thought it was just cloaked...

Don't get me wrong, the black looks great. I like it more than any other color when it is new. It just ages so quickly, like a few years, that the original beauty fades into something less prety than some of the other options.

Anything but black is pretty darn non-traditional and with that you risk the thing looking gawdy.

I work in the "home dec." field. I also do alteration work and a little bit of "custom sewing" with respect to clothing/"fashion". I have rather "traditional" taste and over the years have found that there's a reason things are called, "traditional"... it's largely because "traditonal" tends to span current design trends effortlessly; it's never "out of style"!

I'm not saying that painting the castings a different color isn't a wise choice. What I am saying is that if you don't have a good feel for how the stove is going to fit into the greater context of the entire room it might be best to err on the conservative (tradtional) side. How will you feel about the color of the castings in say, 5 yrs., when you've changed the walls, the upholstery, the carpet, and the "hip" color isn't nearly so "hip".

You are certainly smart enough to "get" my point since you're smart enough to have selected such a nice stove. Work it through... think about what you like as far as the "look" of a stove goes. You'll make a good choice, but it's not a choice you ought to make without some talk and some careful thought about how you envision your "perfect" room!

Ah poop Bobbin, you just scotched my hope for an Avocado colored Fireview. Well, there's always Harvest Gold. :)

BeGreen said:
Ah poop Bobbin, you just scotched my hope for an Avocado colored Fireview. Well, there's always Harvest Gold. :)

Ooohh... how about copper? remember that was part of the "Avocado" "Harvest Gold" troika? (says she who had a copper refrigerator in the home she inherited from her parents). Lol.

Ours is the "custom" Moss Green Metallic.
DSC05583.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

The green goes nice with the soapstone's natural color. It looks a little like US paper currency.

Bobbin said:
Black; suits our traditional propensities nicely (Sorry Highbeam). I've repainted the castings once in nearly 19 yrs. and it's definitely due for a "make over", but if you keep it clean and don't allow dust to accumulate on it over the non-heating mos. you will have no trouble with it. I like the way the traditional black castings frame the soapstone... I also think a high gloss black would look pretty snazzy, too. (But I have a real soft spot for patent leather shoes!)

Did you repaint by hand or tape everything off and spray? I wonder if stove polish would bring it back to life even though it says to use on unpainted iron? I need to do one or the other mine is starting to fade a little after 5 years. I remember someone who posted a special black colored Fireview and I think it was called black leather but cant find the old post.

I used stove black and I painted the castings by hand (I have a pretty steady hand, do a fair amount of stencilling/decorative painting). I don't have the guts to spray it, frankly... not in my living room, anyway!

What I haven't done, though, is go after the scratches and surface pitting on the stove top. Anyone done this themselves? Do you use steelwool, what grade, and a straight motion or a circular one?

Small scratches can be buffed out with fine steel wool, 00 should work. If the scratches are a little deeper, I would try 400 grit sandpaper and sand with a circular motion. If they don't clear up, then you might need to start out with 200 grit, then work up to the finer grit. Finish off with some 00 steel wool.

BeGreen said:
Small scratches can be buffed out with fine steel wool, 00 should work. If the scratches are a little deeper, I would try 400 grit sandpaper and sand with a circular motion. If they don't clear up, then you might need to start out with 200 grit, then work up to the finer grit. Finish off with some 00 steel wool.

From the Woodstock manual:

Soapstone is a very soft mineral and the polished exterior surfaces can be scratched. Scratches can be removed by sanding lightly with .00 steel wool or 120 grit sandpaper. The surface can then be smoothed with 400 grit sandpaper or .0000 steel wool. Remove dust created by sanding with a vacuum cleaner; a damp cloth will simply spread it around. Be sure the stove is cold before you clean it.

Thanks for the replies; but should I use d straight back and forth motion or a circular one? I know that you never use a circular motion when polishing silverware or sanding wood, but what about soapstone? Same rules?

You got me there Bobbin. I'm not sure it would make a difference though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woodstove-1.gif

Believe it or not, this is called metallic brown.

Do you have rear view of that? Interested in venting options. Thanks.

It would be pretty difficult to get a rear view but maybe I'll try it after a while or see if Woodstock can come up with a picture of it.

Backwoods Savage said:
It would be pretty difficult to get a rear view but maybe I'll try it after a while or see if Woodstock can come up with a picture of it.

LOL....thought it was yours. No flue to see :coolsmirk:

Yup. Flue goes straight out the rear and through the wall.

Side view?

I had the charcoal and really liked it. Make sure you have them give you a couple options for your stone so you can get just what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.