what controller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Ascherl

Jun 6, 2010
Hinckley, Ohio
Ok. I have finally finished plumbing my EKO 40. I will be air testing the system this week. I have yet to start the electrical part of this project. I am assuming that since I need to control 4 zone valves, 2 Taco 007 circulators, an aquastat on the storage, and a two-way valve on the storage, that the EKO factory controller is not capable of all of those functions. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My electric boiler is tied into my system but I plan on running it independent of the WB. I plan on setting its thermostat 5 degrees below the 4 thermostats from the WB.

I also plan on adding a battery back-up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as always.

Do you have a schematic anywhere of your proposed piping install? That might help narrow it down some.

Without knowing too much, sounds like you will need a zone valve relay box to start. I use a "controller" from STSS that is really a series of relays that uses an aquastat on the storage for input. It intercepts the thermostat signal from my circulator controller that would normally go to my oil burner. If the aquastat on the tanks says its hot enough, it wont let the oil boiler fire, and opens a zone valve and starts a circ pump. If the storage is cold, it allows the oil boiler to operate like it normally would. You could build the same with some relays and an enclosure if you are handy with that sorta stuff. I wasnt, so I just bought it all in a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.