What do the consumers want in CT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What would you like to see at your local CT dealer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deprayb

I'm curious as to what pellet people in CT (or just the NE in general) would like to see at their local dealer this winter and upcoming 2011 season. Mill's are popping up everywhere and pellets are being made like never before. Are most people looking for the cheap but decent pellet? or maybe the more expensive one but the quality is much higher? Also your probably wondering why I didn't put Okanagan's on their and that is because I plan on selling Okanagan's no matter what people say because it's an amazing pellet and I see it only getting better with time. I'm almost 100% sure I will be getting a load of the Curran blends in soon to push, it is a very nice pellet for the price and I like the idea of blends for than just a hard or soft only. Also if there is any pellets I forgot or you guys would like to see that I did not put on please let me know, for now vote away!

To me the idea is to have all the positive benefits of good pellets, but not exceed the price of HHO, otherwise we have a problem.

I think you'll need a mix from Affordable to the top shelf brands. Maybe something in the middle too. But having a larger variaty can't hurt.

I am a little frugal and burn shoulder pellets in the fall but switch to the top shelf for the extra heat in the cold season. Back to the shoulders in the spring. I prefer softwoods because there usually cleaner over all and burn hot. But I wound not pass on a solid hardwoods deal. About any pellet works in the shoulders for me. This saves me a little in the long run and the main reason I purchased my multifueler. I also purchase in the early spring to say some too!

Brands you might want to add to the list. MaineWoods Products, Spruce Pointes, Juniata, Dragon Mountain, Energex, and Dry Creek.

Any possible way to get some of the West Coast brands? There is a place in central CT selling pellets made by Atlas and Another in Southern Mass selling Armstrong. Getting something that isn't available to this region may help sales? What I am trying to say is having something you can't get anywhere in this area. The other dealers and bigbox's are already stocking what you have on the list so unless you smash there prices. Not many will beat down your doors as they have dealt with there area dealer for several seasons. You might need something unique to steal them away. Hope I explained it OK?

If you ever need a contact for local grown corn? Shoot me a PM.

Edit:
All most forgot Allegheny brand, Nice burning pellet and I think they are closer to this area than some of the others on the list! Please check them out.

you need a better low end pellet besides inferno' s . your warm fronts are kinda pricey also . it depends on the price for barefoots, cubex, turmans or the hamers any of those are an excellent pellet. your right down the road from me 5 min at best . hope all goes well

smilejamaica said:
you need a better low end pellet besides inferno' s . your warm fronts are kinda pricey also . it depends on the price for barefoots, cubex, turmans or the hamers any of those are an excellent pellet. your right down the road from me 5 min at best . hope all goes well

I agree we need a better low end pellet and some middle of the road priced pellets. I just would like to sell higher quality pellets to people that even don't know a thing about them. The cleaner their stoves the less headaches I have

Jake, long time how are you? Well this year spring buy was best it's been in a long time... I purchased 5 tons of hamer hot ones from BT for 225.00 a ton (think they have gone up a little since). I got my hands on a list that shows results on test done on many pellet brands (not all) but has most brands everyone is familiar with (familiar to what you have done). I will scan and create a pdf and send it your way in the future. It did list Hamer's, Barefoot, Cubex and Okanagans (Okanagans I don't see these on the list but they are a softwood pellet, I have tried these and would not hesitate to buy) as the best, not in any specific order here. These are 4 brands I have used and would buy any of them, price determining which one as they all are very very good. I think it is a good idea everyone have a list of what they like, try different brands, as you know everyone's stove burns different and pellet brands are not always available. Hamers and Cubex were both 225 a ton for spring buy at BT and to me that was a steal, I believe last year they were over 300 a ton (Hamers were not available in this area) and why I did not buy them......wanting to try some freedom fuel from HD to use for early fall or early spring as I saw them for 176 a ton........I have seen more pellet ads this year than ever which is a good for the consumer, the local grocery store is selling them!!!

Later

Tony K said:
Jake, long time how are you? I got my hands on a list that shows results on test done on many pellet brands (not all) but has most brands everyone is familiar with (familiar to what you have done). I will scan and create a pdf and send it your way in the future. It did list Hamer's, Barefoot, Cubex and Okanagans
Later

Hi Tony,

How you've been doing? I don't need the list as I am the originator of all the testing. They are posted in the threads and the brands I am testing this season are here too. If you can't find them PM me for links.

TTYL
jay

Brian, you are the closest dealer to me except maybe CJ's which has a Enfield warehouse, If you could sell okies and cubex at a reasonable price under $250 I would consider going to you, It's tough with Lowes and HD selling now under $200, I bought 2 ton of Penningtons at Sam's when thhey had a $150 sale.
I'm still looking for some "heaters" for the middle of winter, I usually go to Squiers in Monson Mass, there now up to $249 for Okies, also being open Sat morning is a must.
I see your ad markers around in front of business's, which say Inferno! wish you well in your business.
90% of pellet burners around prob never read or heard this site, I didn't for 10 of the 12 yr's I've been burning.

SIH!
southern indiana hardwood.

otherwise, my local (closer) dealer has everything i want....

Pellet-King said:
Brian, you are the closest dealer to me except maybe CJ's which has a Enfield warehouse, If you could sell okies and cubex at a reasonable price under $250 I would consider going to you, It's tough with Lowes and HD selling now under $200, I bought 2 ton of Penningtons at Sam's when thhey had a $150 sale.
I'm still looking for some "heaters" for the middle of winter, I usually go to Squiers in Monson Mass, there now up to $249 for Okies, also being open Sat morning is a must.
I see your ad markers around in front of business's, which say Inferno! wish you well in your business.
90% of pellet burners around prob never read or heard this site, I didn't for 10 of the 12 yr's I've been burning.

Our okies are $250 but maybe I could a $249 for you lol It is a little hard when HD and Lowes sell pellets for nothing but i'm hoping next year I can get a nice line up in here that will steer people more towards their local dealer than just running to HD and getting their stuff. Plus we do not have anymore of those Inferno signs up anymore, only Tri-State Wood Pellets.

Stock 1 pellet brand. Make it the best. ONLY sell to clients who want a premium brand. Make happy customers. Make loyal customers. make returning customers. Make it easier for your customers to refer your shop. You will never have an unhappy customer. You could sell something everyone but why would you want to?

Just my 2 cents

It seems to me most places can't really compete with the low prices of HD and Lowes. It makes more sense to carry a high quality pellet. If you carry a middle of the road or low end pellet, you'd have to charge the same as those places, $200 or under. Many people who know their pellets would rather pay more money for a good pellet so they can spend less time cleaning and have fewer problems with the stove. Just my 2 cents.

deprayb said:
It is a little hard when HD and Lowes sell pellets for nothing but i'm hoping next year I can get a nice line up in here that will steer people more towards their local dealer than just running to HD and getting their stuff. Plus we do not have anymore of those Inferno signs up anymore, only Tri-State Wood Pellets.

The bigbox's don't usually have pellets in stock by April. They only carry them seasonally and want them out of the stores as fast as possible. I don't expect the sale prices will last much longer. But you never actually know until they move whats there out and replace with lawn furniture.

Start some sales in the early spring to move your older product out of the warehouse. Then offer a decent price on the new stock for the preseason. You'll catch us early buyers. The bigboxes will return in the fall with an over priced pellet, Until they get tired of them not moving. They they let the bottom fall out.

smwilliamson said:
Stock 1 pellet brand. Make it the best. ONLY sell to clients who want a premium brand..........

Problem today is the economy. If you look every bag out there says Premium on it and most people are looking to save a buck somehow. I hear what your saying and like Newf lover many people know what a good pellet is. But will the topself stuff be affordable to all? Not in this market. You have got to be diverse or loose a sale! We all have different tastes in pellets. Pick one brand and you only get a percentage of the people in the area. If you have a few good ones and the percentage is larger. Lastly don't forget the frugal buyers that don't care what they burn. There percentage might be larger than you think~! Your style works for a little guy but if Brian wants to compete with the big pellet house people, He has to have the goods. I'll bet if you called them you would find the lower price stuff is selling just as good as the topshelf brands in todays market! I s#!t you not! Look at the flurry the Lowes sale has caused with pellets at $176/ton! Its all here in black and white!

Status
Not open for further replies.