What do you do with your Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Eric said:
Warren said:
Big Eric said:
Let mine cool for a day and out in the trash.
Happy garbage can fire!
No, I don't think you quite get it. I have a steel pail with a lid that my ashes set in for a day at least (lid on). Then I take the can outside to another can that I use just for ashes. Our trash collectors don't seem to have a problem with this. I suppose I could see how a hot coal could cause havoc. I haven't started the garbage truck on fire yet. I guess we're all just a bunch of old hillbilly's around here.
Big Eric , I posted on that one too ........... Its just kinda of a funny statment to be safe. There has been many links and post of fires from ashes so it gets jumped on when the topic comes up. Not meaning to work you over. ;-)

bighappy said:
Everybody take a step back, take a deap breath and remember what this post was about. You fire veterans are supposed to be helping us young pups, not arguing and making yourselves look like asses.

Well, pup, Craig warned ya right on the front page of the Forum:

"....but don't be surprised if your answer contains a little more than you were asking for!"

Plastic bucket in my shed with my lawnmower, weed-wacker, roto-tiller and snowblower.

Actually
Metal bucket on a fire-retardent mat on the back deck.
When its full I dump it in the compost pile.

Dylan said:
bighappy said:
Everybody take a step back, take a deap breath and remember what this post was about. You fire veterans are supposed to be helping us young pups, not arguing and making yourselves look like asses.

Thy decision to referreth to anyone here as an ass maketh me think that, perhaps, THEE should looketh into thy mirror.
Well I guess Ive been called worse:)

This has actually been quite funny to first read. It all started out well, but some are obviously better at taking critism, while others obviously.....well just know everything. This Dylan character should have stared in Grumpy Old men.
However, my opinion is that ash to valuable to waste. If you have a garden, spead it freely. If not, spread it on your lawn. Or spread it on your driveway. They all sound like fine ideas. As for sending them down the throne...probably not so much. I would save that chore for Rid-X. (Just don't tell Dylan.)

With my Ash (trees)?
Why I cut them up and burn them!

Depending on the season, I do one of three things with the spent ashes:

It goes into the garden, it goes into the compost pile which eventually goes into the garden, or if its freezing, it goes on the driveway!

Dylan said:
And, BTW, hydrated woodash, or lye, is potassium hydroxide. DRANO is sodium hydroxide.

Well lookie here... my septic tank pun was actually a brilliant idea.

I'm going to give my marketing guy a call, we have something else to sell...

-- Mike

PS - Send Ashes.

No Dylan... I do actually agree with you on this topic. (I just prefer to use a little more tact.) Put the ash back into the earth and benefit from it. The fact that you think that you sound intelligent, is actually funny in itself. As I read your comments, I pictured a tree-hugging college brat who thinks that he has all of the answers, and takes great pride in sounding intelligent. Take pride in knowing that I agree with you on this topic, because that seems to be important to you.
I do not know everything, not do I try to act like I do. I am here to try to both learn and converse with "down to earth" people interested in similar heat related subjects. I have only found this forum about a week ago, and it has been a great experience. The knowledge out here is of real value. I won't let you ruin my opinion of this website. You're not that important. I think that it's time for a new thread.

Hey, we saw and spoke with Garnet Rogers in a Stickley furniture around here. He likes old Stickley.

I like the idea of using ash in the driveway, but doesn't that lead to a huge mess come spring?

Does anyone throw ash on your front steps to help with traction and ice? I'd LOVE to do that, but then I can see the dogs and kids tracking wet ash in through the house. My wife would kill me.

Oh, I would probably take the issue of "tracking ash into the house" very seriously. I know that my wife would be quite hot with me if I told her that I had a great use for our ash and a day or two later there were blck tracks throughout the house.
As someone stated earlier...Ash won't help much with "traction". It helps more with darkeneing the snow/ice and causing it to melt more quickly. So, that does leave that wet dark mess to be traked into the house. I guess that you would have to weigh the cost vs benefit. To me the cost would out-weight the benefit. I go back to putting it somehwere such as a garden or spread on the lawn.

My ashes have always gone in the pile out in the ravine where the cat litter ends up. By the way, I thought cat litter was supposed to be made from clay. That pile has done nothing but grow higher for 12 years. I have decided that if I want to build something indestructable I am going to build it from cat litter. Not the used stuff of course.

I second that, One of our walnut trees is built up around it from cat litter. I dont think it ever goes away.

Dylan said:
Lemms said:
No Dylan... I do actually agree with you on this topic. (I just prefer to use a little more tact.) Put the ash back into the earth and benefit from it. The fact that you think that you sound intelligent, is actually funny in itself. As I read your comments, I pictured a tree-hugging college brat who thinks that he has all of the answers, and takes great pride in sounding intelligent. Take pride in knowing that I agree with you on this topic, because that seems to be important to you.
I do not know everything, not do I try to act like I do. I am here to try to both learn and converse with "down to earth" people interested in similar heat related subjects. I have only found this forum about a week ago, and it has been a great experience. The knowledge out here is of real value. I won't let you ruin my opinion of this website. You're not that important. I think that it's time for a new thread.

College brat??? HAH. That's thirty-five years behind me.

What you consider a lack of tact on my part, I like to think of as 'my RAILING against those that get swept-up with myths and old-wives' tales, and in-so-doing, perpetuate stupidity'.

If I thought that I knew EVERYTHING, I'd be responding to every thread.

Hey Lemms, Dylan is a good guy. Until you get to know him, you may feel he is rubbing you the wrong way, which he may be.

Please don't take it personally. Just Dylan being Dylan.

Dumping ash in the driveway does lead to a huge mess, especially come spring, but the spring rains usually washes it away. It would probably be more of a noticable mess if the driveway was paved.

I'll have to stop dumping it the garden after reading this thread. The soil here is already in the basic range (on top of limestone).

Sandor,
Well, like I said, I am new here and don't want to draw conclusions about anyone to early, because a guy that I may at first think is an idiot (and there are a lot of them out there) may end up being the wisest guy in the forum. But yeah, he just rubbed me the wrong way. And it wasn't even regarding a post that I started or was participating in. I just don't care to see people teating other people like they are a moron, because of something they ask or say. That is the reason that I have enjoyed this forum so much... 99% of the participants are not like that.

Later...

Status
Not open for further replies.