1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    I have a pair of those welding gloves that go almost up to my elbows. Real heavy duty.

I put them on and use a shovel like mentioned by Fossil .

If I need a little more than the shovel I will use my hand as the gloves are so thick as momentary touching of a real hot piece of wood doesnt phase them.

I have even picked up a piece of coal and flipped it back into the stove real quick no problem.

Now I have a real comfort level with my stove welding gloves , they go back to 1990 when I was burning with my wood furnace.

If I ever got new ones I would have to gain some trust with them. As they dont make things like they used too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    my stove does not have andirons, they only recommend a fire on the floor.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I have Harbor Freight Gloves and there the cheaper ones they sell ( i beleive they have hevier ones there) in the bulk pack. The leather is not as thick so it wears out more, but there insulated well. Even those things i can hold a coal for 10 seconds, im talking glowing red, or pick up a burning log hold it as i restraighten the stack then put it in. NOw loading a super hot say 700F stove they get hot after a prolonged reloading/stacking but thats hot!!
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'm having a flashback to one cold morning in Boy Scouts, when a buddy picked up a glowing hot coal with his GoreTex (or some other hi-tech fabric) glove, and we watched his hand go up like a torch. Very entertaining for a group of severely sleep-deprived 12 year old boys...
  5. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Same here. Very heavy with kevlar stitching. 3 years on the current pair and they're still in great shape. I've grabbed a few small escaping hot coals off the ash lip or the hearth and tossed them right back into the fire without missing a beat. But I always have the shovel ready as sometimes the gloves are too bulky to just pick up a stray, or I have to reach in and push a burning split back.