What do YOU prefer for overnite burns......and gooooooo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope i have a roughly 100 year old Victorian with original windows and wood siding. It does have blown in cellulose in the walls and allot of insulation in the attic. I also lined the basement walls with foam insulation and that helped allot but it is still very far from well insulated. And insulation has nothing to do with burn times regardless. All it does effect the needed heat output.

I was in a round about way agreeing with you.

I've come to find out those who say they have long burns, really just have well insulated houses and a pile of red coals in the morning. I have the red coals, but I have to cover the match to light my fires in this old farm house.
I stretch my Englander pretty good with living in a cold area, 2k sqft house with all high ceilings. I load up the stove..let it get good and roaring, then kill the air all the way. In the morning, I rake the coals, crack the door for a min and then load it up. It takes right off every time.

The trick for me is to have a good coal bed to begin with.

Reactions: Vikestand
Status
Not open for further replies.