What do you see on top @ 10hrs? Just for fun pic. All stove makes/models participation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
450F STT
1050F Cat temp

Like to see what others are seeing out of curiosity.

IMG_1242.jpeg
22F outdoors
69F indoors

Last edited:
Oh, rub it in a little. Shall I jab myself in the eye while we are at it?
Just kidding. I can’t compete in this one. Maybe 200 with the right coal bed after running some oak real hard all day.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
Oh, rub it in a little. Shall I jab myself in the eye while we are at it?
Just kidding. I can’t compete in this one. Maybe 200 with the right coal bed after running some oak real hard all day.
I mean no offence to anybody. Just happened to be having a look at the 10 hr mark and thought it might be an interesting topic.

No offense, STT is believable just wondering about the accuracy of your cat temp probe. I have a K thermocouple at the cat usually would be lower after 10 hrs. If you look at the Vermont Castings forum there's a discussion on temperatures. Good graphs by a couple of posters that use electronic sensors to graph.

No offense, STT is believable just wondering about the accuracy of your cat temp probe
No idea on actual temp accuracy. Surely not exact by any stretch,
Comparable to any other Cat gauge of same make/model/design? Betting yes.
Actually, I have a couple oem Cat gauges that mimic this one as well.
Someday maybe I'll spring for a digital setup to chart out the burn time/temp variations. Sounds like fun!

I do watch the VC temp thread with interest. Lots of interesting approaches, methods and opinions! Great read I enjoy keeping up on.

My stt is probably about half that after 10 hours running a full load. Down to about 150 after 12 hours when I e been reloading on a 12 hour schedule.

Those Blaze Kings can really stretch out the BTU’s on a low burn. I’d like to see those same readings after a 10 hour burn on medium and high to compare.

10 hours Im around 400 pipe and stovetop. Thats with a packed full load of wood hardwood, and me waking up 5 hours in and opening air. Osburn 2300.

Nice to get the feedback guys. Hopefully of some use to those looking. Trivia if nothing else!

My stt is probably about half that after 10 hours running a full load. Down to about 150 after 12 hours when I e been reloading on a 12 hour schedule.

Those Blaze Kings can really stretch out the BTU’s on a low burn. I’d like to see those same readings after a 10 hour burn on medium and high to compare.

I am just short of 13hrs right now. STT is 350F. Some could argue its meaningless as there is a Cat pumping in my stove where others do not have one.
Arguably it is still STT in a nutshell. Dunno. Just info that's out there for all interpretations.

We are also experiencing a warm stretch. Already 32F this am (truly shoulder season temps for us here). Heading to the 40's for highs the rest of the week. I am not complaining. I'll take warm sunny December days all month.

@Todd when it chills down I'll gladly run a few loads at an increased burn rate for review. My dog will love it.
I actually am not at my lowest set point now. It can/will burn lower/slower. I am not running the stove blowers either. My remote floor fan regulated down to low and slow is quite enough air movement.

Reactions: Todd
Yeah I’d like to see some BK numbers with higher air settings. STT, flue and cat temps all interest me. We all know what a BK can do low and slow but not much info out there running higher. I would gander a guess that a BK running on medium is like a non cat running on low and a BK running high is like a non cat at medium.

Yes I’m wishing for a green Christmas this year, loving this weather especially after last years record snowfall. I’ve gone through half the wood this year compared to last.