What do you use to add humidity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbfarm said:
We would like to add some humidity to our house by putting some kind of pan of water on top of the pellet stove.

The problem is our stove has a custom paint job. I called a pellet stove dealer and he was kind of wishy washer with his answer as to anything ruining the paint. He wasn't really sure. He said he thought as long as it didn't get slid along or boil over he thought it would be ok.

We bought one of those cast iron tea kettles. gently set it on there for 1 day. I took it off to check and it left 2 black marks that I really had to scrub to get off.

Just wondering what everyone else uses, or if anyone has any ideas.

Put the cast iron kettle back on to hide the 2 black marks

Hoverfly said:
My personal experience is that a pellet stove does not get hot enough to evaporate water fast enough. Better of with a portable humidifier of one of the larger whole house.

X3

Although I am new, I have seen that if the LL Bean steamer pot is left on the stove, it does NOT evaporate enough to add squat to the humidity. Maybe it gets a couple ounces into the air at best.

I bought a 1.5 gallon humidifier, and it definitely adds to the humidity! Although, I have somehow managed to break the first one within 10 days! I bought another one today to see how fast I can screw up two!

Bill

The pipes in your house won't freeze unless the temperature inside the house is really low. I heated with wood for three years, hardly ever ran the furnace. Now heating with pellets, never have the hot water baseboards on.

VCBurner said:
The pipes in your house won't freeze unless the temperature inside the house is really low. I heated with wood for three years, hardly ever ran the furnace. Now heating with pellets, never have the hot water baseboards on.

Wow, good for you.... I wish that was the case with me. I suppose my house may be too big for that. The stove heat doesn't make it's way upstairs.

leave the toilet seat up made me laugh!

We have an april air system on the furnace we are not running, so it has not been an issue until now.

lots of static electricity and dry skin.

-------------------------------------------

wouldn't a trivit defeat the purpose of trying to heat water on top of the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.