What do you use to clean the heat exchanger tubes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KPWright

Feb 28, 2008
West B'God Virginia
I've got an older Harman Invincible. It still works like a dream but the full cleaning is a real pain mostly due to accessing and cleaning the ash and soot from the heat exchanger (bottom access from about a 1.5 inch hole!!).

I've had folks tell me they use custom vacuum hoses, wires, coat hangers, etc.

What have you guys found that might make this job easier?

Good question... I'm always curious to see what people come up with to help make the cleaning process easier and more thorough.

I picked up a tappered dryer vent brush at a local hardware store...Tappers from about 3/4 round to 3/8....works well

Hey Smudge, you have the big Englander stove, correct? And if you do, can you elaborate more on how you clean the heat-exchangers?

I use a small artist's brush, it get right up in between the tubes.

Getting in the narrow folds of the (accordian design) Harman heat exchanger can be a challenge with the Harman tool but an automotive parts brush is reasonably stiff and does the job well. I also use a vegetable brush with a long handle for the rest.
AND, I always remove the door and tape a piece of clear plastic over it to eliminate the dust from entering the room. I cut a cross slit for my hand (in a plastic glove) and go from there.
You really need a couple of different brushes to do a good job and you can do it reasonably quick. I see no need to spend a lot of time doing this.

I first use the Harman tool on mine to scrap off any heavy deposits (although I don't seem to really find any in my stove) and then quickly go over everything with a 3" or 4" cheapo polyester paint brush. The brush seems to do a great job of quickly and thoroughly removing light ash deposit. The down side is the dust that's kicked up. I keep the vacuum running in the doorway, but still get some dust that escapes the stove. I'll have to try something similar to what John suggested with the plastic over the doorway.

I've also found using the brush attachment (with the vacuum) seems to do a good job and doesn't create dust issues, but I can't do as thorough of a job without still having to use the paint brush. Although, vacuuming everything first and then going back with the brush does reduce some of the dust that's kicked up, but then I still have to vacuum it all up again.

I use a long medium paint brush. I turn my stove vac on before i go in and set the vac to the middle of the stove so when the ash starts falling the vac sucks it up without having anything come out. Very simple and yet very effective.

Heat exchangers on my XXV are accordian style-
I use a wallpaper brush to clean em

Attachments

• wallpaper_brush.jpg
    wallpaper_brush.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 367
I use a 3 inch wide, dollar house paint brush. It works fine.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.