What do you use to measure your log lengths?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are you the seller on Etsy and Amazon?

eyeballs when doing quick work like a cord or less, when I get lengths, I take a stick and put 2 - 18" marks on them then hold it to the length and hit the length with my hatched making a score mark down the whole log.

Power saw bar and score the log. I have a stick like above, but mine was fixed so it got in the way when felling and bucking. After a few cuts I use the 'ole Mark 1 Eyeball.

I know my saws and have refence points if I want to be sure before bucking a log. If you have a ruler measure from the tip of your saw and find the reference point or paint a line on it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
If I'm cutting logs to haul back home, I measure out 11ft, which comes to 6 of 22" when done. Otherwise I cut a branch to length 20-22" and use that, and toss it when done. Don't need any more than needed to carry around, there is already enough. With a heavier saw for larger rounds, twisting it around to use bar length as a guide is a bit much. Smaller saw, bar length works great.

Big log I'll use my small saw and mark it into lengths after limbing then use the big saw.

Chainsaw bar and eye. No tools needed, just going to get in the way!

A measuring tape, along with a big ed carpenter's crayon.

Wife got me a Mingo Marker. I use it 90% of the time. Otherwise, a dedicated old tape measure and the inverted marker spray that goes with the Mingo marker that I accidently left hanging on the wall in the garage.

Reactions: Highbeam
When cutting log length my son and I keep it simple.. We ues a measuring tape and mark out paint and we mark the entire tree to length. Then start cutting.. Thats pretty much the fastest and most accurate way.. when cutting into rounds.. I just use the saw for reference.. Really.. there's no reason for a special gadget..

Reactions: sloeffle
Mingo marker. 99% of the time. It’s great. Otherwise, in an emergency, a measured stick in my left hand while I saw. Each round gets measured.

When cutting log length my son and I keep it simple.. We ues a measuring tape and mark out paint and we mark the entire tree to length.
Shortie, saw bar. Long log, tape measure and hatchet. Seems less work than measuring with the bar every cut.