What does creosote buildup look and feel like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a pellet stove you'll probably never
see creosote since pellets have very little moisture.

Google creosote and you'll find what you're looking for quickly.

As zeta says, you should not need to worry about this with your pellet stove. Before my pellet stove I had a wood stove with stainless steel pipe for the vertical. The creosote build up usually looked like a thin brown/copper color coating. Almost like a coating of stain on the inside of the pipe. I cleaned the chimney every year and the coating would flake off from the chimney brush. It never got to be more than a coating since I cleaned it often enough. Those days are gone now that I have the pellet stove. No more taking all that equipment on a sharp peaked roof to clean. Viva the pellet %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.