1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What does your sifter look like?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by movemaine, Feb 20, 2012.

1. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Ok, so I didn't think I would get to the point where I would be interested in sifting my pellets, but now I think I need to.
    Let me clarify, I still don't want to, but I think I probably should.

So I want to do it as easy as possible - so if anyone has plans, directions, photos, etc. of what their sifting system is comprised of and would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

My initial thoughts are to buy 2 large buckets, and drill a lot of small holes in the bottom of one - but I'm not sure this will sift as well as I want.
    Another thought is to build a trough/slide with wire on the bottom for the sawdust to fall through.

What do you do?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Plan b is much better, or a vacuum assisted sifter.

Do a search.

Nevermind what my sister looks like. ;-)
    vinny11950, BradH70 and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  3. PA_Clinker

PA_Clinker Member

Loc:
    Northeast PA
    Here's mine, nuthin' fancy but works like a champ.

Attached Files:

4. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    This is my sifter out in the garage. All fines collect on a shelf under the screens.

Attached Files:

hilbiliarkiboi likes this.
  5. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I saw that when I searched - wondering if I want to go that route versus a trough...

I like the trough idea, as I'm too lazy to get the shop vac out every time I open a bag...

food for thought.
  6. jdege

jdege Member

Loc:
    Dover, NH
    Simple, I don't use on all but some due to sawdust more than fines.

Attached Files:

7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I use a dedicated Shop Vac. Thats all I use it for..

Sifting pellets.

Attached Files:

8. PA_Clinker

PA_Clinker Member

Loc:
    Northeast PA
    I just leave the shop-vac hooked up as in the picture, only inside my basement for the heating season.

No need to drag it out for every bag that way. Food for thought... ;-P

9. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    This is the one I threw together quickly. Still have to make a few finishing touches but works for now. Don't have to deal with shop vac or filters.

Attached Files:

hilbiliarkiboi likes this.
  10. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    You might want to stay away from bad pellets. Just a thought.

Eric
  11. Love your setup, DexterDay. Care to share what materials you used for your sifter system? I'd be much obliged.
  12. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Dexter's started out like this, but after a few revisions he got it dailed in.

3d-hilbert-chaim.jpg
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I dont have a detailed list of parts. I got my list from imacman. I should have saved it. I used some slightly different parts. Some are not needed. The Vac could be connected at the very Top of the 180° or trap/clean-out.

There are 2 proprietary elements to this system. There is "Gutter Gaurd" (think thick screen) to stop all the Big pellets from being sucked up into the vacuum. Then there is the Dowel rods placed in the bottom section. This gives the pellets something to hit and knock off any remaining fines attached to the pellet. Oh and the holes drilled up top. This varies depending on how large of a Vac you use. You only want enough suction to suck the fines. You don't want to clog the gutter gaurd with small pellets.

Here are some pics. Hope you can decipher whats what? (Taking pics now. Post to follow).
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The 1st shot is where you can hook the vac up to. I added more because I already had the box and wanted to extend the end. So the 180° piece isn't needed.
    2012-10-08_21-21-39_801.jpg

Then, the gutter gaurd is cut into a circle, so it fits inbetween the 3" to 2" reducer and the section with all the holes (10" length of 3") This is to stop whole pellets.
    2012-10-08_21-19-13_663.jpg

Then the Dowel rods. Drill several 1/4" holes straight through the bottom section (another 10" section of 3" PVC). And install 1/4" dowel rods. You can see them from the outside of some pics. But here is what it looks like, looking up through it.
    2012-10-08_21-20-32_815.jpg

Then the section with the holes.. This is trial amd error. Run a half bag through it, with vac running. If you shut the vac off and pellets drop from being sucked onto the gutter gaurd screen, then you need to reduce suction (drill more holes). I have a 6.5 HP 16 Gal unit hooked to mine. I needed lots of holes. I also have the little clean out removed from the 180° up top.
    2012-10-08_21-20-54_38.jpg

Then here are a couple other shots. Its mainly 3" PVC, but one section has a 45° on it. Thats where you hopper/funnel goes to. Mine is a 3" main, with a small 2" 45°, then I have a 2" to 4" increaser. The colander sits on top of the 4" piece (bottom of colander is cut out.
    2012-10-08_21-31-42_614.jpg

Hope this helps (without a list...).
    2012-10-08_21-20-20_585.jpg
    2012-10-08_21-20-01_757.jpg
    The Village Idiot likes this.
  15. quickrch

quickrch Member

Loc:
    Northern, VA
    wow, I just put a screen over the shop vac and used an o-ring to hold in place. then I just kind of push it through the pellets after I pour about half the bag (going in the bag and the hopper). I did make a more complex thing but it was not stable.
  16. Vinculum

Vinculum Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Mine is similar to mepellet's. Click the link in my signature. I do 2 passes through it and have collected probably a bucket and a half of fines last season. I used it in my compost pile for garden soil enhancement.
  17. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    I burn the Greenways too. I really have no issue with fines.
    Curious, what you pay for a ton? Here in TN I pay 200 a ton.
  18. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Wow Thanks DexterDay! Very complete photo analysis of your sifter. I am sure this will help out many people!
  19. Wow, you folks sure-are generous with sharing your information. I truly appreciate that! I'm keeping everyones' suggestions and tips at the forefront of my mind as I'm looking to do some serious sifting of fines from my 1 1/2 ton stockpile of Canawick pellets. I'm a stickler for neatness, and with my Hearthstone Heritage being in the corner of our living room in the house, I don't want fines there, or in the stove either. Thank you everyone, this is a GREAT thread and an extra helping of raisin pie goes out to Dexter Day for his quick reply and earnest efforts at posting all of his pics of his setup for me. Again, appreciated! :)
  20. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Yea I think I somewhat copied yours. Hope you don't mind. ;em
  21. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    DexterDay is a class act! Very helpful and a great guy!

I don't worry about fines in my stove because of it's design but I sift to try to cut down on the fine dust that comes out of the hopper when I dump more pellets in.
  22. He's helpful indeed!
  23. Awesome, Dexter....THANK YOU! Upvoted, bookmarked, and appreciated! :)
  24. Vinculum

Vinculum Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Well you know, I copied mine from a commercial design, so pass it on!
  25. mepellet

Loc:
    Central ME
    Ha! Thought so. I used your photos and some corn sifter photos.