What happened to dry creek pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
I bought some dry creek pellets last week (could not get rocky mountain) and knowing that dry creek were great pellets last year and the fact that they are made 15 minutes from my house i bought a 1/2 ton (all they would sell). I started using them sunday morning and i just cannot believe the mess they have made in my stove by tuesday morning. There are huge clinkers in the burn pot, ash everywhere, the ash pan is half full after only ~3 days of burning, the glass is black with a bit of white thrown in as is the firebrick. The pellets are dusty as can be and very small in size almost look crumbled. Some of the (thin) bags have holes in them. The fines in the bag are unacceptable and while they had a great operation and a great pellet they have gone down the tubes this year. Does anyone else have any issues with dry creek??. I sent them an e-mail and have received nothing back to date.

We've been selling them right along and have not had any bad feedback yet. Interesting to hear your having these problems and would be interested to hear your response from them. Although I will say most of my pellets are from summer stock and nothing recent.

I burned approx 33 bags of em left from 2007-2008 heating season that were stored outside last winter til I got them.
I loved em. Not many fines or much ash and they burned well. I`d not hesitate to get more if I could find them.
I think Agway sold them.

Gio said:
I burned approx 33 bags of em left from 2007-2008 heating season that were stored outside last winter til I got them.
I loved em. Not many fines or much ash and they burned well. I`d not hesitate to get more if I could find them.
I think Agway sold them.

I burned them all last year without any problems but when i went there and got some on sat thay sucked big time. Stove was a mess.

I was talked into buying these when my usual dealer was saving all the Barefoot for customers that bought stoves from him. He extolled the virtues of them and said there were as good, if not better, than Barefoot. Couldn't have been farther from the truth, at least for me. Worst 2 tons of pellets I've ever used. Same issues, VERY dusty and tiny, as if they had been crushed, both tons. The amount of ash they created was amazing. I will not be buying from him again if I can help it. He just opened a couple years ago and is much closer that where I bought the stove. This year, for the first time, I'll have them delivered.

I had a ton of Dry Creek that I bought in June and they burned pretty well. I'm wondering with some of the complaints we've seen on previously well-reviewed pellets that it's not the result of producers trying to pump out pellets to meet the extremely high demand we saw this year. Looks like quality control might have gone by the wayside a bit. Just my two cents. Makes me a little afraid to buy 3 tons of any one brand......

I bought 2 tons Dry Creek last fall and they burned great. When I went back to Agway to buy more in January, he said he could not even get anymore. He said the word he got was that they were lacking for raw material to make the pellets. So I wonder if they got some different / not as good raw materials just to keep producing pellets ? I had to buy Appling County Pellets instead, and after buring them, I prefer the Dry Creek pellets.

Slingshot said:
I bought 2 tons Dry Creek last fall and they burned great. When I went back to Agway to buy more in January, he said he could not even get anymore. He said the word he got was that they were lacking for raw material to make the pellets. So I wonder if they got some different / not as good raw materials just to keep producing pellets ? I had to buy Appling County Pellets instead, and after buring them, I prefer the Dry Creek pellets.

I agree that dry creek had some issues getting sawdust to continue production but i have also heard that the owners have some personal issues which need not be placed here. Did you get your appling county pellets up near harwood lake farmersville area he is way over priced for a crappy pellet.. If i could go out right now and buy some of them dare rocky mountain pellets i surely would in a fast minute. Who has them in the western NY area???

were did you guys get the pelletls from? wanted to try them but after this cluster i dont know?

magsf11 said:
were did you guys get the pelletls from? wanted to try them but after this cluster i dont know?

I got the dry creek pellets at arcade lumber 5.25 a bag and the appling county are on graigslist at 265 a ton. If you need phone numbers let me know.

I purchased 2 1/2 tons Dry Creeks last fall and they were great.
I then purchased a ton by Seaboard Int. and they were awful, high ash, heat output was not great and the bags themselves were of poor quality they tore really easy.
I made a complaint to where I purchased them and they let me trade the balance I had for some Dry Creeks that had just, come in. (late Feb) The Dry Creeks were just like the first tons I had purchased.

These were all purchased from the same dealer.

Mark_ms

woodsman could i get the numbers? thanks

magsf11 said:
woodsman could i get the numbers? thanks

DRY CREEK PELLETS
Arcade lumber is 585 492-2700
430 Main St
Arcade, NY

another place for dry creek
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/for/1057452712.html

APPLING COUNTY PELLTES
716-474-6882 OR 716-676-5242 OPEN TILL 9 PM M-F DURING HEATING SEASON.CALL AND ASK FOR JIM.

thanks might be another road trip.

live in the town of tonawanda near Ken East HS on brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.