what happened to Jotul design team

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave P

Aug 22, 2007
Jotul stoves used to be of such great design back in the early days. Now the look like they've been designed by Dolly Parton. What happened to that great Scandinavian look?

Dave

They all look like Jotul hunks of iron to me. Just like always. Which ones offendeth thee?

Wow I hope my new stove warms me up Like Dolly Could.

I don't want your lonely mansion with a steel stove in every room
All I want's a blue/black Jotul, that heats a room up soon
But you think I should be happy with your steel stove and your name
And hide myself in sorrow while you play that heating game

Old black stoves and burning green wood cannot heat this hide of mine
And I dare not drown my sorrow, in the warm glow of your wine
You can't buy my love with a Napoleon because I never was that kind
Old black stoves and burning green wood cannot heat this hide of mine

Old black stoves and burning green wood cannot heat, this hide of mine

Hahahaha... I like some of the above replies to this thread.

Jotul make newer versions of the 602 and 118, you cannot get more character than that!

In Europe there is a requirement for Ultra clean burn, or contemparary designed stoves (maybe this is the Dolly stoves?)
Jotul are at the forefront of design and are copied by many other manufacturers.

If they made a Dolly stove where would you put the splits???

If Parton designed it you can bet that it would have a very large glass in the front.

Yes, My old stove had 2 big nobs for ajusting Air Now if that would have been one of thos Dolly Parton models I woul probably still have that stove

Dave P said:
Jotul stoves used to be of such great design back in the early days. Now the look like they've been designed by Dolly Parton. What happened to that great Scandinavian look?

Dave

I have no idea what is meant by this comment, nor what a stove would look like if Dolly designed it. Could u be more specific?

A designer for 30yrs, I think their mistake was trying to out-do and then finally copying Vermont Castings(which they copied from early American parlor stoves).

But, Jotul still makes a great functioning stove.

dp

For example? What design is rubbing you wrong? Jotul was making parlor stoves when VC designers were still in diapers.

Dave P said:
Jotul stoves used to be of such great design back in the early days. Now the look like they've been designed by Dolly Parton. What happened to that great Scandinavian look?Dave
My read is that he would like to see less ornate, more minimalist 'Euro' designs from them.

Jotul and Dolly Parton. I have to say, there's a comparison I never thought about.

Dave P said:
A designer for 30yrs, I think their mistake was trying to out-do and then finally copying Vermont Castings(which they copied from early American parlor stoves).

dp

So, what you're saying is that you wish Jotul would make wood stoves that looked like an old fridge from the 1950s?
jotul.jpg

I'll pass.

I would love to know which one you got a problem with... many of their current designs (like the firelight, #3, 602, 118, castine) have all been in production for many years, or have a similar design to their older stuff from the 70's and 80's like the old series 8...

I vote they bring back the alpha... that thing was cool!

BrowningBAR said:
Dave P said:

dp

So, what you're saying is that you wish Jotul would make wood stoves that looked like an old fridge from the 1950s?

I'll pass.

I think it looks more like the Easter Island statues.

And for the record . . . I like the design of the Oslo . . . a bit fancier than a simple rectangular box, but not so fancy as to be too frilly or ornate.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a stove designed by Dolly Parton . . . all I can picture is a stove with very large double doors that jut out into the room. I wish I was better at Photoshop since seeing a Dolly Parton-inspired Jotul would be kind of interesting to see.

firefighterjake said:
BrowningBAR said:
Dave P said:

dp

I'll pass.

And for the record . . . I like the design of the Oslo . . . a bit fancier than a simple rectangular box, but not so fancy as to be too frilly or ornate.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a stove designed by Dolly Parton . . . all I can picture is a stove with very large double doors that jut out into the room. I wish I was better at Photoshop since seeing a Dolly Parton-inspired Jotul would be kind of interesting to see.

I'm pretty sure the original poster meant the stoves looked gaudy with the Dolly Parton comment.

BrowningBAR said:
firefighterjake said:
BrowningBAR said:
Dave P said:

dp

I'll pass.

I'm pretty sure the original poster meant the stoves looked gaudy with the Dolly Parton comment.

Probably . . . but you gotta admit . . . seeing a F600 with double doors that bump out about 6 inches would be pretty cool looking, right? ;) :)

I enjoy smaller stoves and most of the wood burning I do is only to heat smaller areas so I have not needed a larger stove (yet) I think that Jotul's F100 and 602 are pretty much the coolest thing since implants (since we are talking about Dolly).

If Dolly came near my stoves between November and April she would melt ; )

Dave P said:

Dave

Still not sure what the OP is talking about without specific examples. Could be the Combifire? Maybe he doesn't like the American fireplace series? Are they too folksy, country style (Dolly Parton?) If so, too bad, they have been big sellers for Jotul. Jotul does make contemporary units, but they don't seem to sell them in America. Could be that this country prefers a traditional design in a stove. At least that's what the market seems to ask for.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Jotul_Stoves_-_Identify_Older_Models/

But they do make contemporary units as well:

http://www.trendir.com/archives/jotul-jotul-f-373-stove.jpg

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove/img/jotul_f250.jpg

For the right setting/room I think those comtemporary units are pretty sweet.

BeGreen said:
Dave P said:

Dave

Still not sure what the OP is talking about without specific examples. Could be the Combifire? Maybe he doesn't like the American fireplace series? Are they too folksy, country style (Dolly Parton?) If so, too bad, they have been big sellers for Jotul. Jotul does make contemporary units, but they don't seem to sell them in America. Could be that this country prefers a traditional design in a stove. At least that's what the market seems to ask for.

Or we prefer a stove that can take a log longer than 12 inches. I like the modern stoves, but the vast majority are too damn small. I'd probably need six of those little bastards to heat this place. :)

cptoneleg said:
Yes, My old stove had 2 big nobs for ajusting Air Now if that would have been one of thos Dolly Parton models I woul probably still have that stove

He said "big"...then he said "knobs"..that was cool, heh heh...heh

cptoneleg said:
So you would have to adjust the air a lot more often with the "Dolly".

Status
Not open for further replies.