what holds your wood while bucking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi all
i was wondering what others use to hold theyre skinny logs (ie) limbs while cutting them to length .
my wife useually holds one end over a saw horse but complains about the wood chips getting in her shoes any ideas on what i can use to make this a one man operation? :mad:

Gravity.

+1 gravity

Ja, well... gravity holds it in my sawbuck.

Make a cross buck, two X's with cross members. Then the skinny logs are a 1 man operation. Mine is large enough to hold multiple skinny ones. Then I go back and forth from one side to the other and cut up say 5 or 6 of them at a time.

I just grab anything I can find....

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 869
It's kinda an expensive way to replace gravity but very handy! Keeps the bar out of the dirt also.

Attachments

• DSC00390.jpg
    DSC00390.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 866
tuco1963 in the great ohio valley said:
hi all
i was wondering what others use to hold theyre skinny logs (ie) limbs while cutting them to length .
my wife useually holds one end over a saw horse but complains about the wood chips getting in her shoes any ideas on what i can use to make this a one man operation? :mad:

Buy her a pair of boots. Problem solved.

Log on stump/cement block/what ever. Foot (with boot) on end of said log.

I like using a cross buck. Right now, I set the limb on another log, hold it in place with my boot, and cut it. I've also used a tree crotch and another round to essentially make something that works like a cross buck. At the end, I cut and split it up for firewood.

Gravity . Sometimes roll it on small rounds
Depends on the log. I'm usually in the woods.
I never cut all the way thru (hitting the ground dulls the chain)
Cut 2/3 thru & if I see the kerf gap just start to close, stop. (so I don't pinch the bar)
Work down the log several cuts then roll it & cut the rest of the way thru.
Rare to be on level ground & or straight logs , seem to find a place to cut logs short enough to roll.

What many people overlook as the perfect sawbuck is your log splitter. Simply clamp up your log at one end and cut done to size. If your log is too long or big start out clamped in the middle or closer to the middle then adjust as needed. Did some of that myself today.
For the bigger stuff I use my grapple.

wkpoor said:
What many people overlook as the perfect sawbuck is your log splitter. Simply clamp up your log at one end and cut done to size. If your log is too long or big start out clamped in the middle or closer to the middle then adjust as needed. Did some of that myself today.
For the bigger stuff I use my grapple.

Most of us cut the rounds where the tree falls, sometimes hard to get the splitter out there.
Other reason, I can't lift the logs. Getting old I guess.
Heck , I have to roll some of the rounds onto & off the trailer. (well don't "have to" just want to walk the next day) :)

Guys, we're talking about limbs here.

Geez Louise .

happy0005.gif

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Guys, we're talking about limbs here.

Geez Louise .

happy0005.gif

OOOps
I cut them while still attached to the tree. After the tree is down, I work from the top down.

tuco1963 in the great ohio valley said:
hi all

No way am I going to cut "skinny logs" to length in the woods. I cut them down to 6-7 feet so they fit on the p/u, and haul them home.
At home, cheapie HF 10" table saw cuts them to length really quickly, turning min amount of wood into dust/chips. Effective buzz-saw for small stuff.
Chainsawing small stuff can get a bit "sporty."

State permit calls for salvaging anything 5" & above, I save to about 4".
Not many "limbs" over 5" on birch & spruce here.
Limbs at home I use 'loppers"

My late uncle had a saw buck rig that he would use a bungee cord to hold the long end in place. Low enough to the ground you lay a pretty good size log into it. metal frame with wood covering areas likely to catch the saw blade.

LArry in OK said:
My late uncle had a saw buck rig that he would use a bungee cord to hold the long end in place. Low enough to the ground you lay a pretty good size log into it. metal frame with wood covering areas likely to catch the saw blade.

Sounds interesting. Do you have a pic?

I built a very simple saw buck out of scrap 2x4's. Made 4 "X"'s and braced then together. Its about 4' wide. It aint a thing of beauty but does the job. With the recent scrounging from our Oct snow storm I brought home A LOT of lengths that needed to be cut to size. The saw buck saved my back!

Attachments

• woodchuck.jpg
    woodchuck.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 512
Status
Not open for further replies.